Rudder Qs

laser179104

Hi

Just bought a 2nd hand laser for next season but i have a couple of questions i'm hoping someone can answer :)

the carbon tiller only has a metal loop for the rudder downhaul. i guess i could just tie it but this seems a bit clumsy and won't hold the rudder down very well

Also, the rudder wobbles backward and forward slightly making the tiller go up and down, im not sure if this is a common problem but it can make the tiller catch on the traveller cleat

Any suggestions would be great :)

The loop tie down sounds like the one used on the Rooster tiller - with a simple 2-1 purchase and a couple of half hitches it does a good job of holding the rudder down - see the Rooster site for more info.

Can you tell us where the play in the rudder is - on the boats I've had, it usually occurs as the plastic gudgeons wear down. You can either flip them over or replace them.

It is similar to the rooster one, i'll try that way and see what happens.

The play in the rudder seems to be in the gudgeons at the top but the bottom plate and pin on the stock moves up and down too. I'll try flipping it over

thanks

Gudgeons are cheap. Me says....Buy one orm two when you get a chance.

When you replace the gudgeons, use way too muchg caulk and scrape off the extra a day or two later. The caulk ough to squeeze out on all sides.

In the meantime, you can go buy some banannas or something else good for you from that department of the local grocery store. Cut the bag into 3 inch squares and next time you stuff your pintles into the gudgeons, use the plastic to tighten the fit.

Just put the pin end in the center of the plastic piece and insert the pintle in the gudgeon.

This works on many boats, especially the boats with metal pintles and gudgeons.
I have been known to wrap five or six layers on my J-24 pins and beat them in with a mallet. the ruder doesn't wiggle and the plastic actrs as a pretty good bearing

Back