rudder position when launching

rorr1203

Hi All, Let me start by saying that I’m pretty much new to sailing and this forum has been a great help. I hope you don’t mind if I lean on you for information and answers to what may seem to be dumb questions. Here’s my first one (dumb question that is)- How do you keep the rudder in the up position when launching? I’ve read a couple of the posts regarding rigging and launching and I see mentions of putting the rudder down after launch. Well my rudder is down all the time - when I try to put the Laser in the water (back it in on a dolly) the rudder drags on the beach – so I have to put the rudder on after I get it in the water. Do I simply have to tighten the bolt that holds the rudder onto the rudder head?

rorr

Re: rudder position when lauching

that is why we are here. i have one question for you and that is, is there a line that can control the position of the blade or do you only have a bolt to help keep the blade in the down position. if you only have a bolt and the area in which you sail in is fairly deep and you dont have to worry about running a ground on sandbars one option is to tighten the bolt so the rudder blade will stay in the down position and put the rudder on when the boat is in sufficient water and while you are still in the water launching the boat. the other option is to buy a piece of line to use as the rudder downhaul which runs from the tiny hole on the trailing edge of the rudder head up between the rudder head and the metal bracket and out and under the tiller to the cleat that shluld be affixed on the tiller. i hope this helps.

rorr1203 said:
---snip---
Do I simply have to tighten the bolt that holds the rudder onto the rudder head?
rorr

Hi and welcome Rorr

I don't think it specifically says so in the rigging guide, but to keep the rudder blade from moving freely (and to hold it in the up position while it is mounted in the gudgeons) yes, you will need to tighten the pivot bolt that is located in the center of the rudder cheeks.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I do have the downhaul line.

The last boat I sailed (a long time ago) was an old day sailor - it had an uphaul and downhaul line. So, when I didn't see an uphaul to keep the rudder up I wasn't quite sure how to keep the rudder up.

thanks again.

Back