Rudder downhaul?

sailordude

hey iv been havin alot of trouble with my downhaul for the rudder. its like a jam cleat and i saw some other thing at aps. is it work or is it just look like it does?

the jam cleats are definitely better- as long as your downhaul rope is the right diameter (i.e. will stick in cleat). i still use one of the old horn cleats (as a carbon tiller is slowly working its way up the things-to-buy list) and used to have a lot of trouble with it coming undone. however, i rerigged the downhaul (or somebody else did it for me) so its now about a nine to one purchase, with the final purchase being run around the horn cleat itself. i also have the rudder bolt tighter now, so its very difficult to put the rudder up. i launch/haul by taking the rudder out completely (except at cork, where they were mean). for a regatta, just because i still dont trust the horn cleat, i will also wrap the cleat (with the line cleated) with electrical tape (my tiller doesn't come out of the rudderhead the whole regatta)
hope thats of help- not sure how to explain the 9:1 exactly.

Having trouble with what exactly?
Is it just really hard to get it down into position or are you having trouble keeping it down? Like with the cleat or something?
It sounds as though you have a jam cleat and it isn't holding properly. Is that it?
Is this the thing you were talking about?
http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e1265.asp (at the bottom)
It seems as if it would work just as good as anything else.
Try to tell us exactly what the problem is.

Siege

yeah thats for the replys. i have the normal like one that comes on it and was wondering if that new one at aps helps or not.

Back