rope for use on the laser

moranatang

what rope is suitable for the control line. the part that you adjust. also can any know where to get cheap 4mm v12 marlow

I order all my line through APS:apsltd.com and Colie Sails: coliesails.com

for control lines, the gold standard is Swiftcord, by Mafiolli, it was developed for Olympic sailors

the new version of this is called Newswift, I haven't used it so I can't say

but I swear by Swiftcord. wouldn't use anything else

as for the working part of the line, I find Vectran to be best, smallest size possible

well that goes for all lines, smallest possible, but I think you want Swiftcord in 4mm

I order all my line through APS:apsltd.com and Colie Sails: coliesails.com

for control lines, the gold standard is Swiftcord, by Mafiolli, it was developed for Olympic sailors

the new version of this is called Newswift, I haven't used it so I can't say

but I swear by Swiftcord. wouldn't use anything else

as for the working part of the line, I find Vectran to be best, smallest size possible

well that goes for all lines, smallest possible, but I think you want Swiftcord in 4mm

I swear by my Swiftcord too. At the orange bowl, nobody knew what it was, so they were all looking at it.:cool:

you serious? this years OB? I've been using it since 4 OB's ago, and its been around since I think the 96 Olympics

I swear by my Swiftcord too. At the orange bowl, nobody knew what it was, so they were all looking at it.:cool:

Umm...I'm pretty sure that's 100% false. I have had Swiftcord for 2 years, and 3 of my friends that were sailing Lasers at the regatta were using swiftcord, and I'm pretty sure we weren't the only ones.

TC

Oh and I only use 3 types of rope on my Laser...Spectra, Maffioli Swiftcord, and for the main sheet I use rooster rope. The one thing that you really need to remember is to keep the control lines down to as narrow of a diameter as you can get them, it's a pain when you get the next smallest size line because they don't have 5/32" and to ease your vang you have to grab onto the boom and pull it up.

TC

---snip--- it's a pain when you get the next smallest size line because they don't have 5/32" and to ease your vang you have to grab onto the boom and pull it up.

Sounds like you are rigged at 15-1

If you remove the last purchase in the 5-1 section and go down to 12-1, there is no issue with easing the vang even in the LIS drifters. It will even ease with the crummy stock supplied line.. Not to mention the weight savings and less line to pull

15-1 is only needed when you have the arm strength of Olive Oil.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to remember that when I go to replace my line before the junior sailing season starts up. Do you know what the changes in length are for the lines?

TC

shorter

just buy normal, and try it out, if you dont like it, you can always go back

If you are stuck in the country away from boat shops with Hi-Tech line a useful interim option is often 'lawn mower starter cord'. Various types but some seem to be quite low stretch, cleat friendly and durable - cost about $3.00 AUD per metre

Don't know if the hi- tech line actualy makes a big differene an old sail streches a few inches in heavy wind

While we're on the topic of Swiftcord, does anyone have any tips for cutting/sealing it while at the dock? In the past I've cut it with scissors and sealed it with a lighter, and while the results are effective, they aren't very pretty.

While we're on the topic of Swiftcord, does anyone have any tips for cutting/sealing it while at the dock? In the past I've cut it with scissors and sealed it with a lighter, and while the results are effective, they aren't very pretty.

tape it, cut it with a razor blade, and then burn the ends, works with all lines, neat and effective

Back