Rolled sail vs. Non rolled sail ... What is the difference?

well I rolled mine too before I sold the boat because it was easier for me to put away. That and I think it's better on the sail and that way I don't forget to remove the battons.

I do have to fold it over in the middle of the sail to get it into my trunk.

well I rolled mine too before I sold the boat because it was easier for me to put away. That and I think it's better on the sail and that way I don't forget to remove the battons.

If you flake the sail you dont have to remove battens- just flake along the leach

Convenient to leave the battens in, yes. However, the elastic in the batten pockets can get stretched out if the sails are stored with the battens in them. Many people who roll their sails still remove the battens.

Folding a rolled sail in half is horrible for it! If you need to fit your sail in your trunk, it is better to just flake it and brick it.

Folding a rolled sail in half is horrible for it! If you need to fit your sail in your trunk, it is better to just flake it and brick it.

Please explain why you think this (and remember, we are talking about a Laser sail)

Please explain why you think this (and remember, we are talking about a Laser sail)

Really? Hadn't realized we were talking about Laser sails on the Laser forum...

Are you implying that a Laser sail is somehow better suited to be mistreated than other types of sails?

If you are looking for a scientific breakdown of what happens to the cloth, I cannot provide that. But trust me, it is bad for them. I worked several years in a sail loft and we all just laughed when people like you would come pick up their sails that were nicely rolled and then proceed to double it over and stuff it in the trunk. Please keep doing it that way...

It's the amount of resin in the yarns of a dacron sail that determines if the cloth will be damaged from folding. Sails using heavily resinated cloth such as Star, Etchells, 470 and even some of the Opti sails can and will break the yarns when folded, regardless if how it folded (flaked and then bricked, or rolled and then folded in half. The more it's folded on the same fold lines, the faster it breaks (similar to breaking an aluminum can)

The Laser cloth is not heavily resinated, it's similar to the cloth used for cruising sails in this respect. It does not suffer the same fate from folding, even repeatedly on the exact same fold lines time after time.

The only real benefit to getting a new rolled Laser sail is the lack of creases that show up in the sail during the first few hours of use (especially in lighter air).

I folded my rolled sails in half all the time.

As long as you're not putting a ton of pressure on it, how would it be any worse than the conditions your sail would face on the water?

I don't recall any catastrophic failures.

Edit: Holy necro-bump.

Back