Rigging - Line specs?

Halfjack

Dad & Lad
As far as I can tell - the Laser class rules don't spec the lines to be used. Having inherited the rigging with the used boat, and trying to get everything right, I'd like to know if anyone can give me (or point me to) specs for the several lines in terms of length, diameter, stretch/no stretch, and what qualifies as what everyone's calling spectra?

BTW: by "specs" I mean so I can buy the right stuff at West Marine without wondering...

Most of the existing threads seem to be conversation regarding one particular brand/model or the other, mostly I'm looking for more basic information which seems to have fallen into the "as you already know" category...:confused:

Isn't this given somewhere?

Try Intensity Sails, they have what you need, and you can email Jim and he he will help you. They
support our forum and the service is great.

Mjbhawg,

That's actually a really good start - thanks!

From Intensity: (all prices lower than listed right now for Christmas sale)

Mainsheets: Either the 7mm Maffioli ($60) or the 7mm or 8mm Bzzz ($26) sold in 44' lengths, recommended cut to 38-39'.
All control lines: Either 4mm Maffioli ($6 for 14') or 1/8" (3mm) NE Endura 12 ($5 for 5' or $10 for 18')
Traveler line: NE Endura 12 ($11 for 12')

Unfortunately, I also went to WestCoastSailing and they have different lines for "primary", "secondary", and "old" - what's up with that?

And is Spectra non-stretch 3,4, or 5mm?

Answering myself now, for WestCoastSailing Old is for "standard" rigging, and New is for "pro" rigging - still don't understand their "primary" and "secondary" designations or why they are so different from each other.

Also, Wikipedia answered all my questions about Spectra - it's just a super-strong plastic rope - and its in the rigging mix at 3, 4, and 5 mm diameters.

Primary and secodary on that site just means the two different lines of the rigging ie the cascade and the cleated control line.

Primary and secodary on that site just means the two different lines of the rigging ie the cascade and the cleated control line.

By cascade, you mean the lines wound through all the blocks in the vang/cunningham assembly? So they're using 3mm Spectra in the blocks, and 5mm Sprintline for the control lines (while Intensity uses 4mm control and 1/8 for blocks) - got it, thanks!

[ok, I'm officially talking to myself here...]

First thing I have to buy is shock cord - and it's the only thing I can't seem to find any spec on at all. I need to replace the shock cords for the daggerboard, outhaul, and the hiking strap, ASAP.

Do I need to go with 3/16" or 1/4", or does anyone think it matters?

I used 1/4". DO replace all these - both myself and a friend flipped our boats in storms in very cold lakes, broke the not-so-old shock cord, lost the centerboard, and both luckily had some help nearby. In both cases it was close and something bad could have happened (40 degree water in the summer).

The 3mm I have in the vang and cunningham is the tight, waxy red line. I got replacement from West Coast Sailing. It's very strong but way too small to handle, so the larger line is for the trimming and cleating half of the system.

Back