Rigging a 1973 Canadian Built Laser

saildot

I just cleaned up this old beauty and have needs in the rigging and sail area. It is a standard laser and need to replace the rudder/tiller & sail.

The fittings don't look at all like the new ones.......Where do I begin to look to replace hull fittings and such?

I'm in north florida

All advice gratefully received!

You might also want to check in with our forum sponsers, The Boathouse and West Coast Sailing and your local dealer...

what sail number's your boat? and do you still have the old fittings on? if so could you send me pictures as i'm trying to restore one of the earliest (1970/71) hulls to original condition

You will not be able to find all the original parts new. You can of course use the newer versions of these parts, but otherwise you need a lot of luck on Ebay and places like that (they appear once in a while though).

Good Luck!
GWF

the parts are to hand (or obtainable easily) it's just the original deck rigging system setup that i have no idea of. The boat has been brought up to date a number of times before and after i bought it and has just been retired from racing so i'm trying to restore it to the original set up for display. My problem being i have no idea what this was like as i've only seen it once before in the passing

that shows the standard hull fittings of later lasers but i was under the impression that they were different in the first 3 years of production. the only other boat i've ever seen of that age had a completeley different set up with little metal fairleads in odd places

for parts for the restoration project;The board and blade i reckon i can get off my club or have made especialy, the sail isn't a problem as it will most likeley be displayed indoors (or with a battered elvstrom training sail from my club that i can get the laser flash and sail number printed on as with the origional sail that came with the boat) as for blocks it was an old Elvstrom one the boat had when i bought it but it wasn't a ratchet - at least not anymore it wasn't (it was a Royal Navy Sailing Association training boat at one point and took a lot of wear there)

We have a early Canadain Laser at our Club. It has wooden foils and non-grooved mast base plug (the latter may not be so good for wear with grit etc). The most noticable difference is the abscence of a breather hole under the front toestrap attachment point.

Despite its age, and a little extra weight, the hull is exceptionally fair and STIFF! - and the boat is not slow despite its slightly heavier weight.

have not tried it with foam c/board - tollerances might be a bit different in the case??- the top (handle profile of the wooden board doesn't match that of the foam one when the tips are aligned so not sure if rake of the case is exactly the same??

The abscence of a breather hole is also a questionmark - gets loads of pressure sometimes evident when loosening the bung after sailing - might drill one if this is permitted??

The older wooden rudder blade also doesn't set up at the minimum rake now permitted - could be fixed so it does by re-positioning the pivot hole or accepting a knotch at the base on the leading edge (probably 5 degrees more aft rake at full down) The bottom edge at the tip is also fractionally at a different angle.

If making a new set of foils, it would be good to get measurements of original foils in case mast or c/case rake is slightly different to current. (or maybe just try a set of the current ones for balance before making wooden replacements)

GL

I to have a 1973 Laser as well as 2 "somewhat" newer Lasers. The foils and the rigging are all interchangable with no trouble at all. I refinished the wood foils and did not want to get them scratched so I use the foam ones on the old boat.

The old stuff looks a bit different but it all works the same.

my boat (1970/71 canadian hull) is also quite unusually stiff for its age somthing i cannot say for newer lasers which seem to go soft much faster
you need to buy the foils really to get it right. one design tollerences are slim and as said before they are pretty much ok on any boat despite its age. one thing i would say is i've noticed that my centreboard is very slightly thicker than normal. this may not be the case or your boat but its just somthing i felt i ought to mention

laser47 said:
my boat (1970/71 canadian hull) is also quite unusually stiff for its age somthing i cannot say for newer lasers which seem to go soft much faster
you need to buy the foils really to get it right. one design tollerences are slim and as said before they are pretty much ok on any boat despite its age. one thing i would say is i've noticed that my centreboard is very slightly thicker than normal. this may not be the case or your boat but its just somthing i felt i ought to mention

What # is your hull?...It should be scribbed under the fairlead fitting on the bow. Mine is 1488 and you are correct the cb is a touch wider but because of the cb break(chunk of rubber) the new one works fine...My old boat is both heavier and stiffer than the newer boats that I have aswell.

mine is 1216 and its deffinately built before 1973 because it has no letter code before the number. i've found the new boards wobble quite a bit in my hull and i can slide my little finger into the gap around the sides

laser47 said:
mine is 1216 and its deffinately built before 1973 because it has no letter code before the number. i've found the new boards wobble quite a bit in my hull and i can slide my little finger into the gap around the sides

Oh...mine is not that bad infact I can use the old wood board on my newer boats as well...is only a little snug

Back