Rick White, Sail Fit, Kolius Laser Sailing Schools????

tkjazzer

Hi,

I was thinking about trying Rick White's, Sail Fit's (new week long course), or Kolius's Sailing School this winter.

Anyone been before? How are they? What are the pros and cons of each school?

I've only heard good things about Rick White's School.

Are there any other sailing schools out there for Laser Sailors (adult, not junior) who are trying to take their racing to the next level?

I'm sure the cheapest way is just to race all the time, but I am really curious about these school and would like to hear feedback on them.

I've never taken classes there, but am a regular customer of KO Sailing, home of Kolius Sailing School. The folks there are great; they really know sailing, especially racing. John Kolius and GM Rachel have both always had excellent answers to all my questions. Located in Seabrook, TX, makes Fall/Winter sailing an option; Galveston Bay's right there, hurricanes aside! Plus, you get to hang out with the folks at Seabrook Sailing Club, especially if you come when we're having Fall series races. Check out the SSC site at http://www.seabrook-sailing.org/default.htm
I'm sure if you called KO, John or one of the instructors would be glad to talk to you.

From what I've seen, the Kolius school is more expensive but is geared to a variety of skill levels. I've been to the Rick White seminar. It's more affordable and is primarily aimed at adults in the middle of the fleet who want to move up. I would highly recommend it.

I had gone to Rick White's a couple (or more) years ago and Kurt Talbee was assisting; it was in Kurt's final months of his campaign to get to the Olympics. It was a good week, mostly adults as a previous post said trying to move up; good because you didn't have to deal with a lot of raging hormones (testoserone). There were a lot of return students which says a lot for any service business and they formed a amiable comraderie. I was welcomed right in with them and we would shop for dinner meals and do our own cooking so it was even more fun as I knew no one before I went. (Rick's used to provide meals but they had cut that out to keep the costs down)

My advice ( which I followed in the months BEFORE going) is get in shape before you go because you spend a lot of time on the water and if not in shape it will soon be evident especially if the winds kick up and you are not in decent shape that the thing keeping you from doing better is YOU. In Laser's that is generally the case anyway but if you arms and abs and quads are beat from the morning session and you decide to bail on the afternoon session due to fatigue you have wasted your money.

My only criticism is that it was a fairly small group which on one hand was good because you got to know everyone on the other hand if there was a wide range of skills and ability it didn't seem that they could give drills that were appropriate for everyone. Kurt used some video work, I think it would be better with more.

Being from the cold waters of Maine I found it incredible that you could capsize and enjoy it! For me that was a real plus and I was more willing to take risks and stretch my limits. Unfortunately I injured myself shortly after the session and that put me out of commission for the season but the people who continue to keep coming (which was the majority of the students) used it as their pre-season tune-up.

I would recommend Rick's if Kurt was doing the training as he was the strong point. Not to take away from Rick but his forte at the time was catamarans. THis may have changed

Back