returning to Sunfish racing after 20 years -- advice?

bmf

Hi,

I'm returning to Sunfish racing after a 20 year hiatus, and I need some advice, help, and dare I say, moral support.

Tried to race my old boat last Monday night. I broke, good. It was a great boat in 1974, but the consesus was that there just wasn't much left to it. So after discussion with the local expert, I bought a new boat, with the "Pro Pack:" racing sale, already installed cunningham and outhaul, etc. So I can have no quibbles about the boat, in terms of performance. It's all on me, tuning, boat handling, tactics, etc.

Raced Sunday, and did well enough to make myself happy. Wind was steady, and gusting over 15. I'm 180, and I guess I had the sail tuned right, gooseneck at 17.5, because the boat felt quick and light, accelerated well. I got three good starts and two good finishes out of 5 races.

Monday was a different matter: The junior racing program races with us then, so there were about 20 boats on a short line. It was difficult for me to find my way around, and I didn't get off one good start. There were boats all over the place. Plus I couldn't get the boat going, whether due to bad air, bad boat handling, bad tuning, or all three. The wind was light -- under 10 for the most part. I moved the gooseneck to 16.5, but the boat didn't seem to point. A demoralizing day when I didn't break mid-fleet.

So, here's where I could use some help: I haven't tuned one of these boats in 20 years, and while I read all the (little bit) of literature that came with the boat, I feel I'm doing it wrong for light air: gooseneck position, outhauls, etc. My sail looks flatter than most, probably because it's new, but also perhaps because I have the outhauls too far to the ends. Any articles I should read, any books to buy, any advice? Any clinics coming up, anywhere around Long island, NY?

Also, I do feel at a bit of a disadvantage, in that the kids have a coach to point out their flaws, and race every day (and of course, start out a lot more flexible than me!). The Grand Masters here have continuously sailed the boat for years and years. I'm returning, and feel a bit at a loss. I'd like to get back in the game, and improve my race. Anyone else deal with this? I don't want to get demoralized, but it could easily happen.

Thanks,

BMF

Do yourself a favor and buy a copy of the "Sunfish Bible" available at the SUnfish class site.
It includes all three books written about Sunfish + articles and interviews from day one until recently.

As a quick tip under 10 knots I run the gooseneck about 12 inches back, but I'm a pincher rather than a pointer. I also heel the hell out of the boat to windward when running to get the center of effort of the sail back over the center of the boat.

Hi,

I'm returning to Sunfish racing after a 20 year hiatus, and I need some advice, help, and dare I say, moral support.

Tried to race my old boat last Monday night. I broke, good. It was a great boat in 1974, but the consesus was that there just wasn't much left to it. So after discussion with the local expert, I bought a new boat, with the "Pro Pack:" racing sale, already installed cunningham and outhaul, etc. So I can have no quibbles about the boat, in terms of performance. It's all on me, tuning, boat handling, tactics, etc.

Raced Sunday, and did well enough to make myself happy. Wind was steady, and gusting over 15. I'm 180, and I guess I had the sail tuned right, gooseneck at 17.5, because the boat felt quick and light, accelerated well. I got three good starts and two good finishes out of 5 races.

Monday was a different matter: The junior racing program races with us then, so there were about 20 boats on a short line. It was difficult for me to find my way around, and I didn't get off one good start. There were boats all over the place. Plus I couldn't get the boat going, whether due to bad air, bad boat handling, bad tuning, or all three. The wind was light -- under 10 for the most part. I moved the gooseneck to 16.5, but the boat didn't seem to point. A demoralizing day when I didn't break mid-fleet.

So, here's where I could use some help: I haven't tuned one of these boats in 20 years, and while I read all the (little bit) of literature that came with the boat, I feel I'm doing it wrong for light air: gooseneck position, outhauls, etc. My sail looks flatter than most, probably because it's new, but also perhaps because I have the outhauls too far to the ends. Any articles I should read, any books to buy, any advice? Any clinics coming up, anywhere around Long island, NY?

Also, I do feel at a bit of a disadvantage, in that the kids have a coach to point out their flaws, and race every day (and of course, start out a lot more flexible than me!). The Grand Masters here have continuously sailed the boat for years and years. I'm returning, and feel a bit at a loss. I'd like to get back in the game, and improve my race. Anyone else deal with this? I don't want to get demoralized, but it could easily happen.

Thanks,

BMF

Considering your absenteeism, you are doing quite well. It will take a while to become 'comfortable' in bigger starts. Remember, there is nothing like practice. Moreover, even the champs have their off days.

When you race with the juniors, they will have a weight advantage in light air.

Studying the Sunfish Bible, as Mike recommended, should help as well.

I would quess you are 40 years old or above!!! I am 58 I started racing 5 or 6 years ago!! What a humbling experiance my first race was!!! I never made it across the starting line got caught in irons, yep was sailing backwards!!! So don't let your ego get the better of you, go out have fun!!! When you having fun you learn faster!! Or relearn in your case!!!!

I went thorugh the same thing recently, though it had only been 15 years for me. The biggest difference is the race sail, which needs to be managed very differently then the multi-color sails of our past. Take a look at how the best guys have them set. In light air, it is very important to have the outhaul and uphaul loose. You should have many scallops along the luff and the foot.

The Sunfish Bible may supply some help and refresh your memory, but unfortunately the information in it is out of date. To get current rigging recommendations, go to www.starboardpassage.com, which is Eduardo Cordero's site. He has won the Worlds 7 or 8 times and is almost unbeatable. That site has all current measurements, rigging recommendations, recommended adjustments, etc. He also runs some clinics, so you might want to see when he has one coming up in your area. BB

For those of you wondering why the Bible is considered out of date, it is because everything in there was written before the racing sail and plastic daggerboard which changed the boat drastically. BB

Except that not much has really changed. Edurado's advice is basically the same given in the bible. What I found extermely useful in the bible was the interviews that gave several different sailing styles from different racers. For me I use one that varies quite a bit from the "standard" setup/positioning and I found it through the interviews in the bible.
Of course it also took a heck of a lot of practice, day sailing, and racing before I perfected what was best for me and put me toward the front of the fleet.

Thanks for that tip. I had the sail set beautifully, wrinkle-free, last week. Today's club race looks to have very little wind, so I will go for the baggy look!

BMF

Thank you, everyone, for the tips and advice. Very unfortunately, Eduardo and John Paul Patten did a clinic at my (new) club the day after I joined. I thought the clinic was only for the sailing school class, so I didn't sign up. And as I didn't really have a boat at that point, it would have been a bit moot .... I will certainly do the clinic, next year, and am looking around to see if there are any planned in my area (Eastern LI) anytime this year, upcoming. I will certainly go to Eduardo's web site.

Another problem with my starts is trying to remember how to sail aggressively, but within the rules. This was a particular problem in the larger fleet. The kids are quick and pretty fearless, as they should be. I'm afraid of fouling someone, as I'm not quite confident of the rules regarding windward/leeward before the start, etc. I used to know this stuff like the back of my hand, but it's been a while. (I bought the new rule book, and am reading it.) And the last thing I want to be is someone who gets out there in the first couple of races and is fouling people and acting in a "sea-lawyer" sort of way. Anyone have a source for good starting advice?

The bible has been ordered, and I will read it, with a grain of salt regarding the new sail and dagger board. I'm visiting Eduardo's site now.

Thanks again for the posts, other thoughts and advice welcome.

It's a quirky little boat, but lots of fun (once it's in tune!)

BMF

I returned to sailing after 20 years myself five years ago. I have had a great time over the past four years racing my Sunfish. The Sunfish Bible is a great source of info. So is this forum and the FAQ and Tips and Tricks section of the International Sunfish website. So are the sunfish sailors you will meet along the way at regattas. Just ask questions. Most Sunfish sailors are very open to sharing their knowledge. Then get out and practice. Sailing outside of the regular club races will put you ahead of many club sailors who don't practice. My favorite rules book is Bryan Willis' 2005-2008 The Rules in Practice. It is a practical guide to your rights on the water written by a member of the ISAF Racing Rules Committee. Dave Perry's 100 Best Racing Rules Quizzes is also good. Dave Dellenbaugh also has a good rules quiz from his "Speed & Smarts" magazine at: http://www.speedandsmarts.com/Rules_Test/87_Rules_IQ_Test.pdf . Expanded answers to this quiz can be found at http://www.speedandsmarts.com/Rules_Test/88_Rules_IQ_Test_Answers.pdf .

Back