Restoring top surface advice needed

MichelleP

My old sunfish sits in hot central CA summers with a cover on it and has become chalky and dull with a lot of spider cracks along the top. I would like to restore it this winter. I have searched You Tube but only see one guy and not much advice on how to sand and how to get a nice shiny gel coat. I don't see how to search threads here. Anyone have advice on how to achieve a nice finish for my boat? Thank you!

My old sunfish sits in hot central CA summers with a cover on it and has become chalky and dull with a lot of spider cracks along the top. I would like to restore it this winter. I have searched You Tube but only see one guy and not much advice on how to sand and how to get a nice shiny gel coat. I don't see how to search threads here. Anyone have advice on how to achieve a nice finish for my boat? Thank you!
We have experts here who can help you. Pictures would be helpful. The amount of work needed can vary, with painting as a last resort.

Thank you already so much! I figured out the search feature and I am going to buy an orbit waxer/polisher and maguires one step compound #67 and start with that. From what I found, that should take care of it. So excited to get her all pretty for next season. I don't have photos right now because it's 107 and I won't go outside in that. :)

Thank you already so much! I figured out the search feature and I am going to buy an orbit waxer/polisher and maguires one step compound #67 and start with that. From what I found, that should take care of it. So excited to get her all pretty for next season. I don't have photos right now because it's 107 and I won't go outside in that. :)
I used my orbital polisher and Maguires scratch remover , then wax, and mine came out pretty good, not perfect but it's a 1974 hull.

Consider using 3M Fiberglass Restorer. This is a rubbing compound with wax one-step product that removes the dull, oxidized gelcoat surface and waxes the restored surface. You can do it all by hand or use a powered buffer. I just did a heavily oxidized 1971 Sunfish deck yesterday (see photos) and was pleased with the results. It is expensive, but one bottle of the stuff goes a long way. It comes in a heavily oxidized or lightly oxidized formula that has to do with how aggressive the rubbing compound is.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Attachments

• L1140388.JPG
    L1140388.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • L1140396.JPG
    L1140396.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 64

Back