Replacing trim?

btsunfish

Hi all,
I have a Sunfish which needs about 1' of its edging replaced. I'd really rather not replace more than that, and I'd like to stay with the original aluminum. IS there a cheaper product than the Sunfish original part?
Thanks,
Brian

...Watch on craig's list, or any other equivalent media, and look for "junk" boats. I watch Ma. and NH's list and there are several there from time to time. I bought a "72" hull last year for $25. Most hardware was gone, except for some possible usable things. I'm saving it as a "donor" boat for mine. These boats are out there, rub rails are comonly left on them, one might be surprised of the parts still on them.

Good luck

Has anyone tried Trim-Lok? It looks like a good product but it only comes in very long rolls, way to much for many Sunfish. Does anyone know of a retailer?

I can't comment on replacement aluminum (except that it is easy to do) but I thought I'd mention an alternate possibility. See this link for an aluminum reinforced 'Quickedge' that I just applied to an old Scouts-used Sunfish. It went on easy after I used a razor to trim one inner retaining edge and looks great. I riveted it in place after using a rubber mallet to "seat" it on the edge. Works great on the cockpit rim, too! I'll let you know after this summer as to how it fared with Scout camp usage.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/2,477.html

It should stay on with normal ADULT use but this was made to take Scout Camp abuse! Week one of camp is over and the trim is working fine!

Sorry, no pictures at this time but maybe later. The trim is a nice white that looks good with this white deck/hull.

Hold the fort! I just heard through a scout that there is some problem with the trim I used. After I go out to the camp tommorrow I will report.

OK. I just looked at the damaged boat. It appears that the boat was rammed with some force either by a canoe at Mach 1 or anouther Sunfish. The trim is intact but somewhat distorted in a 6 inch section. Underneath that section is quite a bit of broken/shattered fiberglass.
My take on this. It is still a good trim material as it goes on easily, looks good, is soft on the butt, and cheap. However, it probably does not have the impact resistance that the aluminum does and so doesn't protect the glass edge as well. Maybe not the best for a Scout camp but I would use it on my personal boat.

Sounds like these scouts need to work on their proficiency badges in small boat repair.
:):):) and I will second that....

Regarding the impact, which must have been considerable :eek:, I don't think that the 'official' trim would have helped significantly.

I used Quickedge White Softone w. aluminum core #143296. It has the necessary 1/4 inch spacing in the middle.

Sounds like them Scouts need some sort of boat fenders. Wonder if you could put Pool Noodles over the rub rails completely encircling the boat.

Should the old trim be removed before using the Quickedge or does that help with the Quickedge to stay on better?

Back