replacing stock main swivel w/cam cleat

triguy46

My "new" 82 model has the standard (I believe) swivel base with bullseye and cam cleat for the mainsheet. Would like to replace with a harken hexratchet or equivalent. Is there a base w/eye that will fit over the swivel base? Is this as easy as I'd like it to be, i.e. remove the swivel/cam, screw on a new eye, shackle on the new block?
tg46

I just pull the whole mess and start from scratch. In most cases there are three holes from the old base asd usually two of them line up with a standard eye strap. Using the base from what's there just raises the new ratchet block up higher and if you want outboard cleats then you have to use steeper angle mountings or higher blocks under the cleats.

I removed the swivel block and clam cleat from my 2002 Fish to replase it with an eye strap and ratchet block. What I found were Three holes holding the swivel block in place plus Two holes from the factory for the original eye stap. What is the best way to seal the Three holes left from the swivel block base. I tried using silicone but I don't really trust it from leaking. I thought about using Marine Tex resin . I'm a cheapskate and don't want to spend to much to seal it. Help. Thanks Bill

If it was installed correctly the holes only go through the cockpit lip. There's little chance of them leaking even if not sealed.

Back