Replacing block plate on an old laser

NikB

Hi, just gone to fit a new XD block plate to my old Laser and found that only one of the screws is holding the old plate - the other turned freely when I tried to unscrew it and having removed the old plate I can see it's just a smooth hole now about 5mm. Advice on the easiest way to fix please, much appreciated.

"Ramset wallmate"

I would advise against this. I'm sure it works sometimes, but also might not work in many instances, could do damage to the underlying fiberglass, would be leaky as all get out, and is just really half assed.

I have done the repiar on the traveler eye with no problems. It spreads the load over a bigger area and gives a metal thread to screw into. A bit of selant when installing ensures that it is water tight.
I do not think your fears are well founded unless the wood under the fibreglass is completly rotten

Timb

Timb - you might be right. I still wouldn't do it - I think drilling/cutting back to good material and using epoxy and thickener is probably a more long term, durable repair that will not leave metal embedded in a boat. But, I believe you that the approach works well.

I ran into the the same problem with my 1979 Laser. While I really like using epoxy to solve a number of problems, this was not one of them. I used a special stainless steel toggle bolt. The link is below. It is a little disconcerting to drill 1/2" holes where there were 1/4" ones before, but it is also really nice to have an actual mechanical joint at a critical point versus a chemical one. Hope this helps.

http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/installation.php

i had to replace the fitting this year. I drilled 1/2 inch holes and filled them back with epoxy-filler, and cover it with tin foil to prevent the epoxy from sinking

Back