Replacement Mast

phillyb

My son tipped the boat and lost the mast to the bottom. I am looking for a replacement but I am finding shipping difficult into Canada. I can buy a piece of extruded aluminum however I do not have exact dimensions. I have found a 10' piece of 2" nom schedule 40 which has an OD of 2.375" and an ID of 2.067". Maybe the wall is a bit heavier but it should work as long as end caps fit on. I was looking at the sleeve anyway. We will not race this boat so the mast does not need to be OEM. Does anyone have the specs on the OEM mast? Is there a method to secure mast other than tieing a knot in the end of the halyard (which we did not do:()?

Mast - and gaff & boom - should be secured to boat by tying halyard off at deck mounted cleat after it has run through the deck eye near the mast "hole." That should hold everything in place. Do not know the ID or OD of mast offhand but my guess is that it's not a standard size. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you!

As AQBILL said, the mast should not have been lost if the halyard was routed and tied off on the deck cleat properly, and it was secured to the gaff. If the halyard loosened from the gaff, make sure you tie the halyard on with a rolling hitch WITH A STOPPER KNOT(what I use) or a halyard hitch. Do a search for instructions on how to tie. Make sure you know the correct way to do both of these or the next mast will be gone too!

Fred

Might still loose the second mast if he has the original cleat screwed into a wooden backing block. If so make sure you change the deck screws to machine screws/nuts and fender washers.

Aren't there any LaserPerformance dealers in your area? I would suspect that one might be willing to help you.

PS: Laser sailors break their masts frequently :eek:. Therefore, a LaserPerformance dealer would know how to get a mast to Canada. I am afraid it will be expensive though.

It might be cheaper to buy another boat with a hull in rough condition. Or you might be able to find a complete rig. I just bought a set of spar and a mast for $100 and I've seen boats in rough shape for this price including mast and spars.

Back