Replacement halyard

wev162

I'm trying to find a replacement halyard line and have seen lots of names like spectra and sprintline but there aren't any local Marine supply stores that carries these. Is there any reason why 5 or 6mm climbing line from a reputable outdoors store wouldn't work? The line is rated for approximately 1500lbs of tensile strength and is supposed to be static and won't stretch, is this strong enough for the Halyard on a sunfish?

Thanks

Re: Replacement Line

Buy on line; Intensity Sails, Sunfish Direct, or APS will be happy to help you (and the cost of shipping will be reasonable).

I'm trying to find a replacement halyard line and have seen lots of names like spectra and sprintline
Look for the description of the line's material, for example Spectra and Dyneema are two different trade names for the same material..., high modulus polyethylene (HMPE).

There are two important factors in choosing ropes... material and braid. Braids are what set one ropemaker apart from another... how heavy, how fine, the marriage of materials for twists, single braids, and double braids. If you are a climber It's more like the soles on climbing shoes, once you know what properties you are looking for it's easier to see past the buzz-names and hype.

but there aren't any local Marine supply stores that carries these.
As Wavedancer pointed out, lots of on-line resources.

Is there any reason why 5 or 6mm climbing line from a reputable outdoors store wouldn't work? The line is rated for approximately 1500lbs of tensile strength and is supposed to be static and won't stretch, is this strong enough for the Halyard on a sunfish?
You're on the right track with static line. Could be an option... haven't tried it. Look at the specs for elongatation between the types. Figure the load of your sail & spars over the halyard distance.

I had hoped to avoid having to wait on an online order but if it's a significantly better option I guess I'll go to the trouble of buying online.

Is West Coast Marine a reputable dealer? I see their Halyard is significantly cheaper than those carried by APS or Torrensen:

http://www.westcoastsailing.net/osCommerce/catalog/-p-905.html

They don't really list any information for the line itself though, any idea if this is a good solution?

WC Marine Rigging Line works fine for a Sunfish, probably better than most of what you see people replace the lines with. I went 5/16 instead of the standard 3/16 for the haylard. Too big for the deck cleet but I have a larger mast cleet that works fine. Saw a Rhodes Bantam for sale today, all the rigging was triple strand, no cover cleep stuff. If I was a top racer I'd buy only the most expensive best, for me good quality is good enough.

Back