Repairing Laser Basics

CraigT54

I'm looking to refinish the wood rails in the cockpit. I'd like to remove them to finish but not sure of how they're attached. Are those rails screwed into the fiberglass only or is there another piece of wood under the fiberglass that secures the screws? Also! I need to replace the lost cleat or handle at the front of the deck. Does this piece screw into the fiberglass decking or, again, is there a piece of wood or substance under the fiberglass that secures the screws? Thanks, Craig

There are 3/4" plywood reinforcement blocks glassed into the deck/hull at all of the attachment points. I haven't seen the wood handrails in years. If the plywood hole is stripped you can ream it out with a 1/4" drill bit, fill it with epoxy filler and redrill it for the new screw.

Hi, just to add to the above -
Gentle use of a hot air gun carefully at the screw holes for a couple of mins.
Get a bit of general household cleaning sponge, cut it into small lengths about the size of your little pinky and dip that into epoxy, then force it into the screw hole with something appropriate, it will completely rejuvenate the old screw thread inside. Tape up around and below the holes to catch the excess squeezed out.

I can't speak to the wood reinforcing on the spots mentioned above but on my 1993 Laser, 150959, there were no reinforcing wood blocks under the side deck cleats, front blocks, or main front double jam cleat. These were all just screwed through the outer fiberglass, then foam, then inner fiberglass. Obviously, this was not strong enough so I bolted them all in with large backing washers. Luckily I had two inspection ports where I could reach the fittings. I was told by our local Laser retailer that there were definitely wood reinforcing blocks under the fiberglass where I installed new deck cleats, but that was not the case.

I did both the repairs you mentioned. Grab rails were easily removed by removing the screws. Existing threaded holes were intact. This was a 1974 boat. If threads bad in holes, I found epoxy is the best fix. Sanded rails and used left over polyurethane. They look great.
Someone installed a stainless steel bow eye. I had to use a Dremel to cut it off. I already had an inspection port installed. Saw no wood. Through bolted the new bow eye for strength.

Back