Removing old metal bailer

tomj

I'm trying to remove the old metal bailer on a 1974 sunfish.

Removing the nut on the inside turned out to be easy--it split in half with a small tap from a chisel. So now I was thinking the assembly should just drop out . . .

. . . but it won't. Hammered on it pretty good and it STILL won't fall out. Am I missing something? Any suggestions?

The old rubber washer between the bailer itself and the hull has dried out and turned into a solid connection or caulk has. A pipe wrench or something that can grip the bailer body and twist will break the rubber/caulk and release the bailer.

mike,
Thanks. Tried that with a pipe wrench, and despite beating on the end with a hammer until I was afraid I'd damage the boat -- no luck. I'm going to try a heat gun (gently) to maybe soften whatever's locking it in there.

Unless there are other suggestions.

Sounds like things could be epoxied or fiberglassed. Even the super caulks should show give or let go with what you've done so far. If that be the situation my approach would be an attack of the interface between cement and bailer with hammer and small chisle. Hopefully there's a spot the goop is thick enough to make the distinction so hull can be avoided. Once bailer is out sand back the remaining goop. Worst case I can think would be to grind the bailer away.

Back