Regatta Watches

ChalmersP

Hey everyone, I know there has been another thread about watches going around, and ive gone through it, but I didnt find what I was looking for... My past 2 watches have been the Ronstan Sailing Watch, not the big display one, but the black, everyday one... The first time it got water in it, I thought it was a one time problem, so I ordered the same one again, this time the strap broke right off during a jybe... Not what I wanted! Somehow the watch ended up in my cockpit! Back to the point! I would like a watch that beeps every minute, and beeps to the countdown to go... I know the Timex's dont beep... and it seems like the only other option was the Ronstans... Any suggestions? PLEASE!!! Thanks

Tell ronstan about it, they were good with the orbit block issues and have fixed all of them up, they might want it back so they can fix a design flaw

My Optimum one is pretty good sailing wise. You can select the countdown, but there is also a preset 5,4,1,0 countdown. If sounds are "on" then you get the beeps, will additional beeps in the 15 secs before the 0.

It is the same watch as is sold under a different brand in the US (cannot remember but the other watches thread mentions the Optimum/US branding).

It is also a reasonable price (for me that = low cost).

They do quite a few other sailing models as well - which I assume have similar countdown/beep functionality (but probably additional features, metal cases, compasses, etc., at a higher price)

http://www.optimumtime.co.uk/OS-121.html

Ian

I broke the plastic piece on my clear start that holds the strap tight a few weeks ago, I probably cracked it sailing this winter since the plastic is more brittle in the cold and it finally gave in.

Anyway, since I wear it around my wrist I sewed the strap to size and its even better
than before. I use it for racing year round and the features are excellent, in my opinion its the best on the market.

It is the same watch as is sold under a different brand in the US (cannot remember but the other watches thread mentions the Optimum/US branding).
Optimum time makes the watches for ronstan so the OP will just be getting the same thing really

I have had no problems with mine (Optimum watch) and have not heard of others having problems - but had I had the same experience (with two failing me) then I would probably avoid the make in future.

Now the class rules look like changing to allow watches with electronic compasses built in, looks like there will be a wider choice of watches for people sailing Lasers - not that I consider a digital compass in wrist watch any use - just that so many seem to include one.

Ian

Back