Refurb of old Laser

scars_scrapes

took awhile but I think I have some pictures to share of this project.

I found this Laser in a barn in Northern Michigan. hadn't been used much or recently. It was sitting on a Kitty Hawk. I wanted the trailer, got them both with intentions of dumping the boat. closer inspection I found a very solid boat. not many cracks and good and firm on the bottom and decks. Had some cosmetic issue and serious scratches on the bottom from dragging it up on a rocky beach. My project was born.

I first put in a inspection port and rebuilt the mast step. Then I took all the hardware off so I could inspect and rebed as needed. I completely faired the bottom taking all scratches away for a perfectly smooth bottom with no scratches, dings or dents and painted it with Imron Yellow and White. She is beautiful and ready to sail.

Attachments

• Laser makeover 001.jpg
    Laser makeover 001.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 109
  • untitled.bmp
    801.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1999.jpg
    IMG_1999.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 111
Looks great - did you roll/tip or spray the Imron ? Any primer or straight onto the sanded gel ?

What do you think your materials cost will be ?

Looks great - did you roll/tip or spray the Imron ? Any primer or straight onto the sanded gel ?

Nice job of mimicking the two-tone color scheme of late-model Lasers with a white bottom. Will make many people think it's a newer boat at first glance.

I sprayed this one, but have seen some nice roll and tip jobs, interlux actually makes a paint designed for that method.

no primer but a sealer was used.

I opted for two tone to give it the updated look and chose the colors because I always wanted the yellow and white boat, never did get one though.

I have $100 in paint alone. I would guess less than $200 total, until you put a figure on labor, but it refurbed a great boat to like new and total I probably have $600 into the boat and the work, not bad for something that looks like new but has a much better bottom(new boats are not fair by any means)

nice job.
what are you doing to the deck? will you add another port to help
back all of the fittings?

Wow !! looks fantastic! You did a great job. Bottom looks great two toned. ( though I'm quite partial! ) What is the hull number ?

Take some pics of the boat fully rigged and post them! :)

What's next?

Eric

no more inspection ports necessary, when I pulled off hardware i used a moisture meter to see how wet the core or ply backing was and it was all dry, so I will goop and reinstall.
What's next, I may end up sanding and shooting the deck as it is a very light tan color, but we will see. I did find the stickers, thanks as I believe you directed me to West Coast for those. I also have a couple other boats in the yard one is a very early model that has seen better days that my brother and I will refurb for our girls to sail off the beach and one is a 1992 that is ready to be cleaned up and sailed.

Back