Refinishing foils

jeffers

After viewing a lot of the threads on this subject and looking at my own foils (which are in a bit of a state it must be said). I have decided that they could use some TLC. I understand all about the wet and dry etc. But what paint should be used prior to refinishing?

I am guessing it is some kind of single pack acrylic as 2 pack and cellulose would probably eat away at the structure..

Can anyone enlighten me?

Krylon spray paint in white is a perfect match and compatible. I think that it is only available in America.

Hi Merrily,

Thanks for the reply, which particular of their ranges? It looks like there is a limited import into the UK but if I know which line I may be able to find something suitable.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Merrily,

Thanks for the reply, which particular of their ranges? It looks like there is a limited import into the UK but if I know which line I may be able to find something suitable.

Cheers,

Paul

That's a good question. Looking online shows me that their product line has greatly expanded. If I were to go to a hardware store here, I believe it's the All Purpose that is their original paint and the one I had in mind.

So that's Hunts Sailing Club and not some little burg called Hunts in South Carolina. :) What body of water do you sail on?

Use white gloss car topcoat refinishing spray, you can get it at any car shop and finishes just like the original paint.
L

Merrily, I said on a flodded gravel pit near the town of St Ives in the UK. Only about 50 acres but it sure teaches you boat handling!

Thasnks for the help both yourself and LPW, I will start them soon!

Hi Jeffers,
I'm just doing my foils now. Nip down to the hardware shop and get some Plasticote Primer and white Super Enamel..........just the job and about £6.50 each. One tin of each is just about enough to do both blades.
The only thing I'm going to do differently next time is buy car spray as I've got a compressor and spray gun and it will take much less time to do. My finger gets tired holding down the button when doing the daggerboard!

Hiya Paul,
If you can get it,and use it safely, use 2 pack paint it's much tougher than anything your going to get out of a can.
I did mine with it and it causes no damage to the foils as they already have a primed/finished surface on them, so the paint(solvent) never comes in contact with the honeycomb core !
Hope this helps
Rob

I do paint laser boards on a regular bases and I would not use anything less then vc underwater epoxy. Can bee seen on page 2 of the web page below. can be sprayed or rolled on then wet sand and buff to a high gloss. Very hard finish. The paint has teflon in it. Many boats that race use this pain on the hull. I wouldn't bother with anyrhing else. 1 quart will be enought to do 2-3 sets of foils.

http://www.foghmarine.com/2006Catalogue/Page%2048%20to%2050%20hi%20res.pdf

Back