Ratchet direction

iconoclast

on a Harken auto-ratchet should the direction of the arrow be pointed toward the sail or the person holding the main sheet?

The instructions don't say.

Secular

on a Harken auto-ratchet should the direction of the arrow be pointed toward the sail or the person holding the main sheet?
It's cryptic... toward the person.

ratchet_ratchamatic-lg.jpg

Easy enough to test and correct.

when the ratchet locks up i noticed the line just slides around the pully. Is that because its wet or is the line too small or is that normal?

when the ratchet locks up i noticed the line just slides around the pully. Is that because its wet or is the line too small or is that normal?
That's precisely how a ratchet block works. The ratchet mechanism locks the sheeve (pulley wheel) changing it into a fixed friction surface the sail has to tug harder against in order to move the mainsheet through the block.

That added friction relieves a degree of the holding strain you have to put foreth. That is why you bought it, right? ;)

The added friction is produced by holding the line in the pulley with a little force. If the line is too big or too small the pulley grooves will not be very effective. Check the specs for the block to determine the max and min line size required for the block.

Fred

Actually somehow I thought it would hold the main sheet. In that sense its no different than the hook on the front of the cockpit, except its easier to pull in the line with the pully than around the hook.

ps I'm using 3/8' line which is the max for this ratchet.
Iconoclast

That's precisely how a ratchet block works. The ratchet mechanism locks the sheeve (pulley wheel) changing it into a fixed friction surface the sail has to tug harder against in order to move the mainsheet through the block.

That added friction relieves a degree of the holding strain you have to put foreth. That is why you bought it, right? ;)

You really don't want to hold the line as a cleat would do. Trust me, when the wind is strong and variable or when you get dumped off the boat you do no want the sheet cleated.

Fred

Back