Raleigh, Lake Wheeler

Baja

Went out for a sail Jan. 8 and met up with a fellow Laser sailor, actually he is the sailor I am a newbie to the Laser (3rd time in the boat). Along with giving me a TON of advice, He mentioned that they will be racing on Jan. 15 on Lake Wheeler and I should show up around 11:00am and participate :)

If there is anyone from that ¿club? ¿fleet? that frequents the board I would suggest keeping a thread open here to provide status of events.

Looking forward to meeting everyone Saturday,

James Fisher

As an update to the racing on the 15th. It was a mixed fleet, they calculate the places after the race using portsmouth ratings. They post information on NCsail.org We had 2 Lasers, a Nacra 20, a couple San Juans, Starwinds, and a Hunter. The races were windward/leeward. We got 4 in for the day, it was a lot of fun. Got the sail wet a couple of times, it was really gusty at the leeward mark! For me Jibe+gust=wet sail. One race I was able to pass the Nacra because it had gone over at the leeward mark. My lead, however, was short lived because as soon as they caught the boat and righted it they were past me and finished. :eek:

Yesterday I went sailing. 20-50 mph winds with 35 mph gusts! 25ºF temps.
WOW! What a blast! Sailing by the lee the Laser was singing. I love it! My big trouble was coming about to head upwind. I had eased the vang for my downwind run. I headed up and pulled the main in block to block and went to tighten the vang. The spray from going downwind had frozen the rigging :( and when I pulled in the main the vang had come unhooked, but as all of the line was frozen solid, it was still standing up almost touching the boom. :eek: I guess that is what fresh water and low temps gets you! All in all a great time.

James

Race on Saturday:

From NCsail.org:

"I am excited to announce that we will have a US Sailing Club Race Officer who is a US Sailing Judge in training at our next race weekend, providing a seminar for racing rules at the skippers meeting.
Joleen Rasmussen has been active in race management and racing for years, and will also provide our race committee for the day!
I hope we can all come out on Feb. 12 and gain from her experience!
If you haven't been a part of the race series thus far, you can still come out and sail with us for the cost of launch fee! It is a laid back group that is working on learning the racing rules, and are cordial to each other through the mistakes!
To be scored, you would be required to pay the $25.00 series fee."

This is a mixed fleet at Lake Wheeler south of Raleigh. Launch fee is $4.00 for Raleigh residents, and $6.00 for non-residents. Races typically start at noon.

Back