radial vs 4.7

laserknight

I am unclear about the differences between the radial and 4.7. I have an old standard rig and am just getting back into sailing after a few years off. At 135 # i cant hold it flat in a breeze. I do have access to a 4.7 lower mast at the local club so would just need a sail, so it would be a lot cheaper to go that route, but is the radial a lot better? I will be recreational sailing and some club racing. Would appreciate any advice.

the 4.7 is tiny. the radial is a good step down from the full.

From what i can gather the 4.7 has a square metre less sail area than the radial (5.7) and 2 square metres less than a full (6.7)

The 4.7 is only going to be fun for you in 20+ knots. Get the Radial, its a great rig that will be fun in almost all conditions.

the 4.7 is tiny. the radial is a good step down from the full.

From what i can gather the 4.7 has a square metre less sail area than the radial (5.7) and 2 square metres less than a full (6.7)

Let's get it right. The areas of the three rigs in square metres are

4.7 4.7
Radial 5.76
Full 7.06

But I am knot a sailmaker. I am knot a mathematician. Depending on who you believe my opinion has no weight or needs two stamps.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. Special thanks to Old Geezer because he apparently is old like me and my (1978 original owner) Laser :D

Back