Radial/Standard Rig: Body weight or Technique ?

Deimos

One thing I find interesting is the Radial/Standard decision in relation to body weight. I am 68Kg 1,77m and went for a Standard rig. I did this knowing that in windier conditions it might be too much and that I might easily end-up getting a Radial rig.

Whilst people might debate the exact weights, various sources (internet) suggest that the ideal Radial crew weight is 60Kg to 75 Kg and Standard for 70Kg and above (opinions vary in detail). So maybe I'm borderline on the Standard rig.

However, watching some results recently, in one group I see somebody doing really well on the sea (more wind than inland) at only 50Kg in a Radial. I might be on the border line but she is well below the lower Radial wt recommendation, yet doing well. this then begs the question that is this weight aspect "overrated" and is it technique more important.

Obviously it depends on the wind and conditions but it's only 1,3 sq m of sail area and this girl is doing well 10Kg below the weight range !!.

Ian

In all winds where lighter sailors aren't overpowered, they'll be faster, generally. Once they're overpowered, speed is a function of power, which is directly proportional to righting moment (weight). Basic physics says the heavier kids will be faster. In heavy air, about 150lbs. (68kg.) is a good target weight. Tecnique is definitely a factor though. The above applies to sailors of equal talent; lighter sailors with better tecnique can survive upwind and pass the heavier guys downwind.

The radial suffers terribly in light air compared to the standard sail, primarily because the mast is shorter. Once you have a 'breeze' (i.e. wind at deck level is approximately same strength and direction as that at the topmast) the Radial is fine - but still doesn't let you point as high with speed if there is any chop.

Its amazing how low Radial sailors start out to get flow over their foils befor winding up.

Technique is crucial, but in my experience in a good fleet you need to be vaguely close to the right weight as well unless it's a light wind area. Someone as good as Tom Slingsby (#2 in the Open Worlds) used to be beaten hollow until he got close to the right weight.

Being overweight is different.....you can be really quick in a breeze and only have little or no disadvantage in the light stuff against most sailors.

Way back when I was fit i sailed a standard laser at 55kg and sometimes embarrased very notable sailors in drift to 7knt conditions. In 10-12 kts racing was great and the weight advantage placed me much higher than I deserved. From 12kts up 9without perhaps the wisdom of handling techniques obtained in later years) i generally chopped wood up wind (even when experimenting with weight jackets that were legal at that time) and would end up way down the list at the windward mark. Downwind was another story entirely and effortlessly I could pick up 13 to 14 boats easily by the bottom mark. Unfortunately, unless the race to the finish line was down wind the overall result was not that impressive - but it was still great fun!

A lot depends on what you want or enjoy most in sailing/racing and what people you are wanting to race against are doing. At 50kg in a standard laser you will not be competitive upwind but with skill will blitz the opposition downhill up to around 20-25kts. The laser is such that you should still be able to control it and get home safely in breeze above your competitive strength provided you are skilled and fit. on the other hand you may choose to downsize and go for finess in les exciting but more traditional sailing competition.

sry i don't know kg's, but as for optimal standard rig weight ive read that its 175-180 in most conditions. Obviously in the lighter stuff smaller sailors are at an advantage in pointing ability and speed downwind. I've also seen a few 165 lb sailors dominate upwind in breeze. (hiking ability, 6-3 fram and immaculate technique were also factors) but I've found that in conditions that require vang sheeting, technique and hiking ability tend to overcome some weight advantage because the straighter your legs the flatter you can sail without draggin ur ass in the water.
cheers

As for a radial, bigger seems better. As far as I know there has only been one male world champion in the past 5 years that was under 70 kilos. Blackburn won not that long ago at 78 kilos. Fair enough it was a fairly windy regatta, however on the one light day (5 knots) he still managed two bullets. Interesting to note that Slingsby came third at probaly around the same weight. Accordingly you come to the conclusion that technique almost has everything to do with it.

As for the full rig can anyone tell me when there has been a world champion under 75 kilos (without a weight jacket - when they were legal)???

With those results it seems fairly obvious. Under 75 kilos sail a radial, over 75 kilos sail a full rig. 75 kilos, well sail what you enjoy.

Back