Racing?

Bikerbob

Any fleets in Ontairo at all?

I see the one in NY and MI are not huge distances away if I wanted to go for a regatta, but I wondered if there is even a list of owners in Ontario? Maybe find a sailing club with 3-4 already there and have a little competitive sail.

James

OK... I'm probably going to get flamed for this... but I have a sneaky suspicion that the Canadian Sunfish class is a figment of someone's imagination. The website claims that they have 20 members which is, I think, the minimum number required to register a national class. The only Canadians that seem to attend international Sunfish regattas at all regularly as far as I can recall are Richard Lament and Peter Nash from British Columbia.

Could it be that two guys have persuaded 18 friends to register a national association so they (the two) can occasionally sail in the Sunfish Worlds?

I am knot a Canadian. I am knot an expert on Canadian Sunfish sailing. I liked Peter and Richard when I met them. Some of my best friends are Canadian. I am knot an expert on Sunfish class politics, ISAF rules for International Classes, what Canadians mean when they say, "eh?" or why they think that that stuff that comes in blue cans is actually beer. My opinion has know weight (even when converted to Canadian pounds.)

Well you Old Geezer, I think i would agree with you.

Even if it is legit, it is only in BC and that is as far away as California to me.. so upstate NY and MI is still the closest things around.

Oh well.. I guess up here it is just Lazers and Bytes etc..

James

Or you could persuade a few friends to buy Sunfish and start your own fleet. It might grow and grow and grow, and other clubs might start fleets, and you could host regattas, and then a Canadian National Championship.

Then, who knows, there might even be a Sunfish Worlds in Ontario sooner than you think.

Even if it is legit, it is only in BC and that is as far away as California to me.. so upstate NY and MI is still the closest things around.

James, you may want to contact Dr. Peter Nash and actually ask if there are any Sunfish sailors registered in your area rather then ASSUMING there are not because some grumpy old geezer says they are probably fake.

I know I wouldn't assume that all of the sailors in the US are from the gulf coast simply because our current class president is.

James, you may want to contact Dr. Peter Nash and actually ask if there are any Sunfish sailors registered in your area rather then ASSUMING there are not because some grumpy old geezer says they are probably fake.

I know I wouldn't assume that all of the sailors in the US are from the gulf coast simply because our current class president is.

I agree. You can't believe anything you read on this forum. Especially if I wrote it. For example, that nonsense about running a Worlds in Ontario!!! Unthinkable.

Oskar Johansson represented Canada in the recent PanAm games. But he may have his mind elsewhere, since he is campaigning a Tornado for the Olympics, I think.

I used to race keel boats, but times have changed and I dont have the funds for that right now, but I do enjoy one design racing.

I know up at our family cottage lake (Muskoka) there is quite a few lasers, now I would assume that a Sunfish cannot really keep up with a laser? For the sake of fun regatta racing?

James

I used to race keel boats, but times have changed and I dont have the funds for that right now, but I do enjoy one design racing.

I know up at our family cottage lake (Muskoka) there is quite a few lasers, now I would assume that a Sunfish cannot really keep up with a laser? For the sake of fun regatta racing?

James

For the sake of fun, sure, go out and sail your Sunfish with the Lasers if they are happy to let you. In theory the Laser is faster but when you factor in shifty, patchy lake breezes and the varying abilities of sailors, you could probably beat some of those Lasers some of the time. Swap boats from time to time with the Laser sailors. Who knows? You might convert some of them to the Sunfish.

Please keep the discussion on track and refrain from personal attacks.

Thank you,

Well, actually, under Portsmouth ratings their numbers aren't that far apart. In light air a Laser will do better. In heavier air, thanks to its adjustability, hard chines, and greater stability, a Sunfish will do better. All comes down to the skill of the nut on the tiller!

Any fleets in Ontairo at all?

James

You might also try to look up Oskar. He's another sailor who has bigger aspirations than most of us. If he's in the province you might be able to arrange a sail with him.

The World Championship will be in Ontario in 2008. Might be a great reason to encourage your neighbors to get into the 'Fish!

Back