Racing spectator

fatstratblond

Hi! I went out today to watch a race in the the Hamilton (Ontario) harbour to see what racing is all about, winds were good, got to see alot of rigs, people were friendly but when it came time to watch the race it was so far down the bay to see anything unless you had a boat, I don't no why they were so far down, there was about 1/2 km of water between me and the race. Are all races like this?

fatstratblond said:
Hi! I went out today to watch a race in the the Hamilton (Ontario) harbour to see what racing is all about, winds were good, got to see alot of rigs, people were friendly but when it came time to watch the race it was so far down the bay to see anything unless you had a boat, I don't no why they were so far down, there was about 1/2 km of water between me and the race. Are all races like this?

Unfortunately for land spectators, that is pretty common. The Race Committee has to set the course for where the wind is, and they look for steady wind. Usually, that is further out from the shore. When wind passes over trees and buildings, it makes it swirl, and that is tough to sail in. There are other considerations like current and competing events, too.

I was at that regatta and yes the Laser course was way out there but it was a good thing. It was brutally shifty and way worse near shore. The back chop near the sea walls was downright nasty.

I was the gray-bearded old fart in the patched up old grey hull.:D

Thanks for the info, makes sense now and Snipeguy I think I saw you at the put in on saturday on the slippery ramp, I saw one guy in bare feet slide down and into a nice dive 9.5 One girl slipped almost hit her head and that was after I told her to watch her self. Well at least I got to see how the rigs realy go together and how to sail out of the harbour, it was cool sailing as the boats went by, every one seems to have a different tactic, Now I can't wait untill next spring
Thanks

fatstratblond said:
Thanks for the info, makes sense now and Snipeguy I think I saw you at the put in on saturday on the slippery ramp, I saw one guy in bare feet slide down and into a nice dive 9.5 One girl slipped almost hit her head and that was after I told her to watch her self. Well at least I got to see how the rigs realy go together and how to sail out of the harbour, it was cool sailing as the boats went by, every one seems to have a different tactic, Now I can't wait untill next spring
Thanks
Ya, that was me. I used the wooden launch ramps after that. Much safer.

Don't wait until spring to join in. Come to our Laserpallooza at Guelph on Oct. 1st

PS Guelph Lake is ideally suited for spectators. Our club is on a long point and we race right across the front off the point. We regularly get a "gallery" of spectators with lawn chairs and coolers. If Canada ever gets the Summer Games again, we are vieing for the sailing venue. (joke....)

Snipeguy,

Anyone in Guelph want to let their boat out for the day to a well seasoned sailor? Would love to come and injure myself some more.!!!!!!!

Snipeguy, I think will take you up on the offer as long as I am not at the rink with the kids I did some windsurffing up that way 10 years ago, it was East of hiway 6, I think there was camping as well. I remember paying to get in were at the north west end it looked like the lake continued but I have not been any farther down,

Back