Raced against the big boats this weekend

Allatoona

I raced in our last points race of the year in my Capri on Saturday. I have raced in my 1984 Catalina 22 for the past 3 years and have been getting better each year. We have a mixed fleet of boats in our club.

The other racers were in their big boats: Morgan 26, Catalina 22 (wing keel), J24, Catalina 28, and myself if the Capri 14. All are in the A fleet, except for the Catalina 28. All the racers are serious, but the J24 being a very tough racer. This felt like typical summer lake sailing, shifting and fading winds - plus it got really hot. I don't have an outboard, so I asked very politely to be towed out for the race.

We did two races in 4 hours, typically we do 3 races in 3 hours. We spent a lot of time roasting in the sun, waiting for the wind to start blowing again. My apologies to all of you up north, I sailed all year, except for December.

I was first across the start line in the first race, and the J24 was closing in. We traded positions a couple of times, depending on where the wind was blowing. I crossed the finish line 1st in the 1st race. The wind shifted for the 2nd race and we had a broad reach for a start. I had a good start, but the others did as well. I crossed the finish 2nd about two minutes behind the J24, and that race was right at 2 hours. I didn't have the heart to tell him that my handicap was about 100, while his handicap is in the 70's... So, he still had to give me a lot of time. I couldn't stick around for the official results, but I would guess I got a first for both races.

The boat performed very well. I'm very happy with my rigging tuning. I installed my new telescoping tiller extension prior to the race and it performed very well.

-Robert
1984 Catalina 22
1989 Capri 14.2
web-admin for South Winds Sailing Club
http://sailswsc.org

Nice job. The guys racing in the J24 must be depressed to get beat boat for boat by a Capri 14. Keep it up and may be they'll get smart and buy 14.2s.

Back