Race Sail Trim

David1st

I am racing with a used race sail. I have participated in two tuesday night races and finished well back in the fleet!!! I used to place much higher, last year I finished second in my class !!! I used a recreational sail last year,an old rag of a sail!!! The race sail I have is a nicer looking sail, but my competion is out pointing me by several degrees especially in lighter air. I am a 200lb sailor what should my gooseneck setting be? Should I tighten up my outhaul in lighter air and what about the cunningham? I am not getting the speed out of this sail, that I exspected, just what am I doing wrong!!!?am getting beat by a gal, with a recreational sail, with out outhaul or cunningham!!! I also have an old style racing daggerboard, which should give me an advantage also!!!

Well I can say from personal experience that a used racing sail is a inefficient racing sail. Like you I was "top of the fleet" one year and a "stern watcher" the next. In my case I had left the outhaul and cunningham really tight after an end of the season sail in heavy air; and over the winter the sail stretched out of shape.
Nothing was visable to the naked eye or anything I could measure but a new sail put me right back up to the front.
There was a reason someone sold that sail and JMHO you've found it.

David,

As mike says, a used sail is inefficient. There are also a lot of other variables that factor in. The gooseneck setting is mostly dependent on wind, move it forward to about 15-16" on the boom in light winds and further back 12-22" in heavier winds. The same with your weight, forward in lighter winds, you just want the tramsom to clear the water for smooth flow, move back in heavy winds to keep the bow up. Use a vang to keep the sail from rising up the mast. I don't have adjustable outhaul or cunningham, but the old "rule" was tight in heavy, looser in light. Check the FAQs and Tips on the SF Class home page, there are some of your answers there. Also get a copy of the Sunfish Bible, many good tips there as well. Scott Kyles Tuning tips is one article to read.

Sorry, about not getting back to you sooner, but my computer has been down!! Thanks for responding to my question!!! Its nice to know someone actually reads these, someone with experience that is! I didn't buy the sail, I inherited it from Dave Thompson!!! Last year he finished upwards of a half hour ahead of me with it!!! Should a three year old race sail, be beat by a 20 year old race sail? I don"t think he left it strung too tight and I know I have not!!

David,

With your weight, you will always be at a disadvantage in light winds.

Sails are obviously important, but windshifts, puffs, getting a good start and clean air, are even more important. Really, there are so many variables; that's why sailing/racing is a lifelong educational experience. At least it is for me, not a 'natural' :eek:.

I am having a 'bad' season as well, not doing well in local regattas :eek:. But I am still enjoying the experience. And there is always next time...

PS: training with a 'buddy' may show what you are doing wrong/differently.

Sorry about your bad year!!! Maybe I am trying too hard!!!! I want so much too have a good year in memory of my sailing buddy,who past away last year at the worlds!! It was his sail that I inherited!!! He weighed more than me and done very well in light air!!! Your right about one thing ,sailing with a buddy is the best way to go, but I have not been able to find one since my best friend and sailing mentor left this world for the next!!!

Back