Question Time, borrowed sail and numbers

Crafty-144929

This year im goin to do the nationals in my laser in the uk :)

Unfortunatly i have a second hand sail with the sail numbers of another boat
I have done some research and this sail number, ( the boat ) , is now based in ireland and is sailing the 4.7, myself using the radial

So do you think it would still be ok for me to use this random sail number or change it to my actual sail number to the boat ?

But as i am getting a newer boat in a couple of months is it worth it ?

Sending away the entry form tomorow so a quick reply would be grateful

cheers
Dan

Re: Question Time

I would ask the race committee. It would be their decision. Point out to them that the boat whose number you would use is not competing in the event (assuming it is not) and confirm that you would be using the same (wrong) sail number in all races (i.e. not chopping and changing between correct and wrong numbered sails.

Ian

if he's not competing, and your certain of it, don't worry about it

When I've used the wrong sail numbers at regattas (incl. Nat Championships) in the UK (but different class, not in Laser) I've always got permission from the Race Committee first. Provided it does not conflict with any other boat, no problem but I would definitely ask and don't just do it.

Rule 4(e) ii does not quite cover this case but is not too dissimilar - and suggests you require written permission from the Race Committee. There will also be random measurements carried out so I would just "not worry about it" - it is not to difficult to ask permission.

I don't know what level of "random measurement" are carried out by UKLA but at other class national events I have been "random measured" more than once (and I was not in the top end of the fleet).

Ian

...Rule 4(e) ii ... Ian

Hi,
from my experience: Ian is corrrect. Inform the RC, early enough, and correct in time, Keep clear for the measurement of this information and you are on the correct side, if someone decides to protest against you. Important is: do have the correct letters ""GBR" at your main sail of the nation you race for, ok.

Ciao
LooserLu

I would let the race committe know, but I can't see how it would be a problem unless the other boat appears. The main purpose for the numbers is to tell the boats apart at the start and finish.

Back