Question on Sunfish Design Changes

dpdeur

I am looking at purchasing a 1970 Sunfish and would like to know a couple of things before I do so.
1. What design changes have taken place that would create issues in finding replacement parts, including, mast, rigging, rudder, etc.?
2. Should I be concerned about the fiberglass hull integrity after 40 years?
3. What are a few good questions to ask any seller?

Thanks for your help!

I am looking at purchasing a 1970 Sunfish and would like to know a couple of things before I do so.
1. What design changes have taken place that would create issues in finding replacement parts, including, mast, rigging, rudder, etc.?
2. Should I be concerned about the fiberglass hull integrity after 40 years?
3. What are a few good questions to ask any seller?

Thanks for your help!

I'm no expert, but I'll dive in here.

1. Some things change over time and can help pin down the exact year - check out the "Sunfish KB & FAQ" section here. The most important consideration for replacement parts is the rudder style. That's the biggest change (I think). Mast, spars, rigging, D-board are all pretty standard (I think).

2. Yes. It may be ok but expect some potential issues on a 40 year old boat. Again, check out Sunfish KB & FAQ.

3. Number of owners, how was it stored, repairs, watertight hull. Years of pounding on the water create soft spots in the hull over time. Some of this is expected but you may want to check for really soft spots that may indicate some sort of impact.

Thanks Royal for pointing you in the right direction.

A few additional points. Leakiness is of obvious importance. Ask to weigh the boat, if at all possible (should be 120-140 lbs). If not, lift the boat; two people should be able to lift a dry boat without trouble. Wet boats can be dried out, but that takes time and some effort.

Do a soap bubble test to check for leaks. (see the Sunfish KB & FAQ section).

And yes, as Royal already pointed out the 'new' rudder set-up is preferable. Because the Sunfish is One-Design, there haven't been many changes that are relevant to non-racers. You can install a hiking strap on a seventies boat, but that's by no means a necessity.

Forty years is not too old. If you peruse the Forum, you will find several threads that report on the rejuvenation of such old boats. Among other contributors to the Forum, NightSailor has reported on his projects in great detail (thanks!).

I suggest moving the gooseneck fitting and inspecting underneath. The 70's boat I bought had a little corrosion going under there. I swapped out that mast for another, but only after I bought it.

Also the leak test would be highly recommended, particularly for the mast step. A small leak wouldn't knock out a candidate boat, some small repair may be expected. But a massive leaky mast well would make me look elsewhere.

Cheers Winever.

Back