Question on maximum weight

flehrer

Dear Members:
I am planning on buying a Laser and I want to know your expert opinion on weights:

My weigth is aprox 224 lbs (6'3") .I used to race in Finn with no problems but not sure if my size will be OK to manage a Laser.

What do you think?

Appreciate your feedback

I actually made the same jump (from Finn to Laser). My weight was around 225 lb at the time.

I'd say you start getting competitive in 200 - 210 lb range. At least that's what I found after losing the extra weight. (of course this depends on the quality of your fleet).

From what I have seen, the top guys seem to top out at 190 lbs, but I don't know if you would want to put yourself through the misery of losing that much weight.

If you don't lose any weight, you'll find it tough to compete in less than 12 knots of breeze.

Aside from that, I really like the boat, mainly because you can always find someone to race against.

So, good luck.

I am around the same weight and would echo nickbrand39's comments.

The big downer is in marginal planing conditions; when the rest of the fleet is screaming off ahead it can be a bit demoralizing. That said, the boat is still hugely enjoyable and fun to race. I find that i am not as disadvantaged in really light winds as you would imagine, if you can keep the boat moving the extra momentum seems to get you through the lulls. You will just have to concentrate more than those around you.

Your biggest problem at 6'3" is getting under the boom when the vang is full on but it can be done.

The most fun I've ever had on the water is in a 30+ mph wind on a flat lake with a radial sail........awesome.

Back