question after first fish ride

OK, I went to a local sailing club and rented a Sunfish today in order to "test drive" it before buying one. Here's my question: How does anybody sail one of these things without the window in the sail??!! The one I rented didn't have a window, and it was a pain to keep bending down to look under sail in order to keep an eye on other boats in the area (of which there were a few). Maybe something to do w/ how low the rig was set (about 6 to 9" off the deck on the mast)? Or does one always feel "blind" when sailing w/out a window? Anyway, the used ones I've seen so far in my search haven't had a window on the sail... So do I have to buy a new sail, or can a one be put in by the average Joe?

Thanks for your help!
Kevin

Kevin, normal daysailing mean setting the boom at 18-24 inches off the deck, thus you don't need a window. As for a window any sail shop or most marine canvas places can put in a vinyl clear window in a used sail.
Way back when, no Fish sails came with windows so all of them were "installed" aftermarket.

mike4947 said:
Kevin, normal daysailing mean setting the boom at 18-24 inches off the deck, thus you don't need a window. As for a window any sail shop or most marine canvas places can put in a vinyl clear window in a used sail.
Way back when, no Fish sails came with windows so all of them were "installed" aftermarket.

Just in case you want to race in 'official' Sunfish regattas, there is a rule about the size of the window:

3.6.2 One rectangular window may be installed in the sail so long as the shape or size of the sail is not altered. The total area of the window shall not exceed 600 sq. inches (3871 sq cm).

The window size is limited to keep every body equal for sanctioned racing. The first windows were only about 250 Sq inches. Other windows were only 2 to 3" tall and about 3/4 the length of the sail and hard to see through. See the SF History over on Yahoo Sunfish Sailor for a picture of the long narrow window.

The place you rented from may have let the halyard slip up the upper spar, lowering the lower spar. Like Mike said, recreation sails (non window) are raised to about 18-24 " of the deck (halyard tied to upper spar around 90-93" (between clips 7 - 8) up from the tack (front corner). Racing, the halyard is tied higher (100-106" (clips 9 - 10)up on the spar, any higher and the spar can hit the deck). My halyard is 103" up on the spar (gives me about 8-10"under the lower spar measured at the mast), I have the Racing sail with window and still feel a bit "Blind" at times . Once you get use to it, the SF is a great little boat.

Back