Qualifying for Worlds

thor

Hi all

I was wondering how you actually go about qualifying to get a spot at the worlds.
I must be looking in the wrong areas as I cant really find much besides the bit about allocating spots and that as far as I’m aware you just have to put your application in and go from there?? Is this correct?

Hi all

I was wondering how you actually go about qualifying to get a spot at the worlds.
I must be looking in the wrong areas as I cant really find much besides the bit about allocating spots and that as far as I’m aware you just have to put your application in and go from there?? Is this correct?

The ISAF is the governing authority for the Worlds and the number of places per country is limited. For example, the USA has 3 Laser and 6 Radial positions. So in addition to putting your application in, I guess you have to be a top notch sailor with winning or placing high in stuff like the regional regattas, the National Championship, North Americans, etc., plus traveled and sailed over the world already.

http://www.sailing.org/default.asp?...VoBdkls~bVgNN1NpvQ6YjfV0d674BTxr3jjHj/CsMu62x

Hi all

When you say "worlds" I assume you mean the "Senior Worlds" (ie the Laser Worlds with the Olympic hopefuls). If so, then the answer depends on whether you are talking 2007 (which is an ISAF controlled year for the combined Olympic Class worlds in Portugal) or in 2008...

If 2007 then you qualify primarily through your MNA with reallocations nominally based on ISAF rankings, etc.

If 2008 then ILCA allocates berths to the Regions/Districts and you qualify through the system your Region/District sets up. For example, if you are living in North America then the system for 2008 is described on ILCA-NA website.

Qualification for the Women's Radial Worlds follows the above description.

Qualification for the Master's Worlds is "open" (which really means first come first served).

etc.

Hi thanks for that. Yes I am talking about the 2008 "Senior Worlds" its just that it is in my home countrynext year and was wondering what the chances are of getting a spot.. Thanks for the link to the ILCA-NA website makes complete sense. Although I am still struggling to find a qualification scheme for Australia?

At this stage, Australian places for the 2008 Senior Worlds will be allocated based on results at the Nationals, which will be on at Blairgowrie from 27 December to 4 January. Another spot is up for grabs at the Asian Pacific Champs which will be part of Sail Melbourne in mid January, but we have to share this with the Kiwis and the rest of the Region. If any of this changes (which it hopefully will), then the ALA web site (http://www.laser.asn.au) is the place to read the latest.

Usually Australia gets about 3 places allocated, but we can apply for extra places where other countries don't use their entire allocation. Last time Australia hosted the worlds we ended up with 7 or 8 entries after the re-allocation.

A lot of guys are hoping to qualify, so will you have plenty of competition for the spots. Top ten at the nationals is challenging enough every other year; this year will be extra tough. Good luck!

Australian places for the 2008 Senior Worlds will be allocated based on results at the Nationals, which will be on at Blairgowrie from 27 December to 4 January

Leaving selection that late seems questionable to me, but it isn't possible to use the previous Australian Nationals as a selection for the 2008 so it will probably have to be the Nationals in Blairgowrie.

I am sure allocations to ILCA have to be in long before that though.

Leaving selection that late seems questionable to me, but it isn't possible to use the previous Australian Nationals as a selection for the 2008 so it will probably have to be the Nationals in Blairgowrie.

I am sure allocations to ILCA have to be in long before that though.

I agree. Last time the Worlds were in Australia we held a special selection regatta in late September which seems to be a better option, as long as someone is willing to run it. Not really a good time for reliable breeze though. Probably too late to change things now anyway.

I assume that we would have some special arrangement with ILCA
regarding allocations and late entries

Back