Qs RE: Mast step spider cracks

Catya

Hi again,
I just turned over my new free 70s Goldfish (SF clone) and found that there is a small series of spider cracks on the aft side of the mast step and a crack down in the lip. Sort of looks like something pushed the mast back into it: No knife can be stuck into the spider cracks, but I can get a thumbnail into the crack on the lip. The cracked areas are apx 2.5" x 1.5" on the deck and 1" x 0.5" down the lip. There is no deck flex in the immediate area. I have not yet leak tested the boat, but I wondered whether this is a terminal problem, no big deal, something I'll just have to try out, or something I should try to repair somehow, and if the latter, how.
TIA,
Catya
PS I don't have a digital camera, so I can't send pics easily.
________
herbal vaporizer

Thank you.
Unfortunately, I just got help and lifted the 'fish onto some (padded) sawhorses and realized that one of the mucous-looking repairs on the hull is beneath the mast step! The repair seems sturdy , but I wondered whether the odds are that this is a terminal problem, or just ugly.
As far as flex goes, I tested that by pushing down with my hand and was told the important thing was whther it flexed when the mast is in it. I need someone to help me move it outside to test that.
Thanks.
Catya
________
TS125 DUSTER

Hmm! Well, epoxy is pretty strong stuff in compression or shear, as long as the surfaces were clean, and the excess was squeezed out when repair was done. I did an ugly repair at load-bearing deck partners (on a more sensitive boat) 35 years ago, and it's still OK. Maybe you can get a short length of pipe or something and test for stiffness under leverage. If it's moving, you'll HAVE to fix it. O'wise, try it. . . Keep an eye on it, and don't go far from shore until you're more confident in that mast step!.
If you have any info on this boat, it would be helpful. ??Try grinding into the edge of the repair. . . Is it clean? (You can fill and sand exploratory holes that are away from the center of force.)

Thanks!! Using a pipe to simulate mast pressure is very helpful. In fact, I was feeling a bit over my head until I read your posting. I just got my roof rack (fresh off of the local craig's list) and slipped--well forced is a better word--some pool noodles over the cross bars.
All I know is that it's a 70's Goldfish. The damage occurred at some point beyond the memories of the former owner--it was his parents' boat and their passed. The edges of the repair look tight to the hull and solid. I didn't know how strong the material was, so I really appreciate your posting. I'll go look for a suitable test pipe--maybe a speaker stand leg would do the trick.
Thanks a million, I'll keep you posted (ouch, that's become a pun...).
Best,
Catya
________
iolite vaporizer review

FYI: 2" PVC pipe fits perfectly into the mast step. You can use it to test the step or if you want to lay the boat on it's side without it falling over, a short section will hold it.

Back