Pulling out my 1994 Laser with 11 year break

DAWR

My 1994 Laser has been stored inside for the last 10 years and I am curious what upgrades I need to make to make it race ready again.

I have bought the XD Cunningham/Outhaul deck plate and cleat base without any lines or blocks. I would love any links on the latest/preferred rigging of this system since I will be buying my own lines/ blocks. Do you have a preferred block you like to use?

Do I need to reinforce either the boom or mast step to use with the new XD systems or is my boat new enough? My boat was heavily sailed for 6 years if that makes a difference.

Also, I think my boat does not have a daggerboard friction pad. Do I need/ want one?

Any other upgrades to the boat that I should be making?

I would love any links on the latest/preferred rigging of this system since I will be buying my own lines/ blocks. Do you have a preferred block you like to use?
I have a habit of looking at photo galleries of major regattas to see what the top sailors use. The cunningham and outhaul systems seem to have standardized at 6:1 both, and the only difference is whether you rig the secondary (3:1) part of the outhaul at the boom cleat or the gooseneck.
The Ronstan 30 mm orbit block seems to be popular, it's easy to tie or shackle anywhere and the axis hole makes for a neat becket. RF35101 | Ronstan Sailboat Hardware World
If you want the blocks to be as small as possible, then you go to the 16 mm range from Harken. The forkhead version fits the deck plate perfectly.

Do I need to reinforce either the boom or mast step to use with the new XD systems or is my boat new enough?
Contrary to what some people say, the "new" systems don't exert significantly more force anywhere on the boat really. (The only obvious exception is the fittings related to the deck-led outhaul.) For example, there's actually less pressure on the mast foot the more purchase your cunningham has. A 1994 boom has the 65 cm reinforcing sleeve, and going to the 90 cm one (1997 onwards) just isn't worth the effort.

I think my boat does not have a daggerboard friction pad. Do I need/ want one?
It's required.
I haven't tried the new brake, but at least it looks cool and makes your boat look up-to-date. :D

Any other upgrades to the boat that I should be making?
Hard to say without seeing your boat first! If you can post pictures I'd be happy to comment.

Last edited:
I have a habit of looking at photo galleries of major regattas to see what the top sailors use. The cunningham and outhaul systems seem to have standardized at 6:1 both, and the only difference is whether you rig the secondary (3:1) part of the outhaul at the boom cleat or the gooseneck.
The Ronstan 30 mm orbit block seems to be popular, it's easy to tie or shackle anywhere and the axis hole makes for a neat becket. RF35101 | Ronstan Sailboat Hardware World
If you want the blocks to be as small as possible, then you go to the 16 mm range from Harken. The forkhead version fits the deck plate perfectly.
Thank you, I was checking out blocks. A few more questions, is the Harken T2 18mm, not used anymore or would you do a Harken 18mm micro? Do you use the D version on the Ronstan which is lubricated or the version without the D?

Contrary to what some people say, the "new" systems don't exert significantly more force anywhere on the boat really. (The only obvious exception is the fittings related to the deck-led outhaul.) For example, there's actually less pressure on the mast foot the more purchase your cunningham has. A 1994 boom has the 65 cm reinforcing sleeve, and going to the 90 cm one (1997 onwards) just isn't worth the effort.
Great, I will not worry about this.

It's required.
I haven't tried the new brake, but at least it looks cool and makes your boat look up-to-date. :D
Great I will find that!

Hard to say without seeing your boat first! If you can post pictures I'd be happy to comment.
I am trying to get it out and washed this week. I just want to make sure I know what I need to do when I pull it out.

A few more questions, is the Harken T2 18mm, not used anymore or would you do a Harken 18mm micro? Do you use the D version on the Ronstan which is lubricated or the version without the D?
Of course carbo Harkens are widely used. Harken Micros (if you mean the 22 mm series) are perfectly good, too, anywhere on a Laser except as a vang key block, which needs to be stronger. The Harken 25 mm line/wire blocks are best for that.

I don't see the point in the special version of the 30 mm Orbit block. Could be for some very special application on some boat other than the Laser.

Back