Property Tax Bill on Laser

jpl62

i bought a 1979 laser for 500 dollars last year and now i have gotten a bill from the los angeles county tax collector that i owe 106 dollars in regards to a unsecured property tax bill or luxery tax...is this normal guys???

ps. i owe this amount each year for as long as i own the boat......isnt the tax alittle too high??? john

In LA County an unsecured tax is a tax on non-land based property, such as a boat. The rate should be about 1%, or $5 on your little unsecured property. You need to contest the assessed value of the boat. They seem to think it is worth $10K, a bit high for any Laser.

Travis County used to tax boats. The politicians discovered it cost more to send a bill for a small boat like a Laser than it returned in revenue.

The "elected officials" also discovered, the boating community could be harsh on politicians who taxed some recreational toys and not others.

The county gets me for my boat trailer because it has a license plate. However the Laser isn't registered anywhere, so they know nothing about it.

On my house property tax bill, there's a spot where you're supposed to declare misc. posessions like sailboats. Mine always seems to get left blank. There must be a special section of Gitmo reserved for criminals such as myself.

Back