problem with a cleat

ryeguy

forgive my ignorance in not knowing the correct terms....I am recently having problems with the rope that connects the sail to the boom..It goes through the loop at the end of the sail then cleats in the middle...The problem is in strong winds, the comes out of the cleat....Not sure if i should be using a heavier rope or if something is wrong with the cleat.....TYpically i don't wrap the rope around the boom after cleating it because by that time I'm fighting with the boat in strong winds....Any ideas would be appreciated...thanks...

ryeguy said:
forgive my ignorance in not knowing the correct terms....I am recently having problems with the rope that connects the sail to the boom..It goes through the loop at the end of the sail then cleats in the middle...The problem is in strong winds, the comes out of the cleat....Not sure if i should be using a heavier rope or if something is wrong with the cleat.....TYpically i don't wrap the rope around the boom after cleating it because by that time I'm fighting with the boat in strong winds....Any ideas would be appreciated...thanks...

The clew--the grommet at the lower aft end of the sail. A line to pull that clew forward or aft--an outhaul. Maybe your line is old and slippery or else too big for the cleat.

If your boat is older it may still have the plastic cleats. The aluminum ones are much better. I put up with this issue for a while and replacing the line with thinner stuff corrected it for me. I still tie a figure 8 at the location that would be the maximum outhaul setting I would Like to sail with.

Also, you can get a billion feet of line and rig a syetems where the outhaul runs around the mast and back aft, which to a degree reduces the pressur on this cleat. I did this for a while and decided I was tired of the extra line and the rigging complications involved in setting it up.

Someone the other day had a great suggestion where you tie the outhaul line to the boom first, then run to the grommet in the sail, then back to the fairlead and to the cleat... I have yet to try this however.

hmm, I found an interesting problem similar to yours, I thought that my outhaul cleat must be broken, because when I tried to adjust it in strong winds, it would not grip the rope againe, but it turns out, that the bungee witch I use on my centre board and is attached to the bow thing, would slip in between the two cleats and would impede the cleat from clsing properly.

Back