Prices for Used "Fish" Boats?

callerguy

Cush Maker
Hi all.

I've been out of sailing my own boats for almost 30 years. I decided to finally rectify this.

My local summer paper, The Vineyard Times, has a classifeid section called the Bargain Box each week. It almost always has sunfish listed for sail, but sometimes has other "fish" boats listed. I bought a sailfish a couple of weeks ago for $50. It's in decent shape, not new, but sailable. I paid $50 for it. Was this a good price?

I was given a sunfish this last weekend. I had to make a few simple repairs to get it ready to sail.

I think I've spent about $4 on hardware to fix rudder problems on the two boats.

I'm considering buying a minifish that is listed for $30. Is this a good price?

My family and friends are kidding me about my growing "fleet." I think that getting 3 boats for $80 is a good deal, even if the boats are 30-40 years old. My two kids had never sailed before this summer. Now they are hooked!

Oh, I'm thrilled to find such a great resource for learning about these boats.

Have you priced just a new daggerboard?:confused:

Yes, I'd say you did very well. I spent twice what you did, and didn't even get a "real" Fish.

The downside was some hardware failures that, in the ocean, could have been...ummm...troublesome. :eek: As it was, I "McGyvered it" in a lake—but far from land.

I'd keep some spare hardware on board an older craft. I used a scrap of copper wiring to re-secure what remained of a parted halyard block.

You'll surely draw some interest in racing one another: :) I'd keep a pair of Sunfish—but only Sunfish.

Are you on Martha's Vineyard? If so, with prices like that, I have to start checking that paper out! It would be worth the ferry trip with my truck to bring home the right-priced boat! Sell me one of your boats, willya???:eek:

Back