practice....

nonamebrand

Hi,

I am wondering how you guys go about practicing to improve your racing? Apart from actually racing... :)

Our sailing season has closed for about 2 odd months during winter, but theres no ice,etc so we can still sail.

Being new to Lasers and not having sailed in 10 yrs+ I want to use this time to improve myself for next season.

I will mostly unfortunatly be going out by myself, tho I am going hopefully by able to meet up with another Laser from the club semi-often if I can.

How do you guys go about "training" especially if there are no other boats? Do you just set yourself a course and sail it against the clock? Difficult to say if I am going faster otherwise.... faster than what?!

Many thanks
Mark

Hi,

I am wondering how you guys go about practicing to improve your racing? Apart from actually racing... :)

Our sailing season has closed for about 2 odd months during winter, but theres no ice,etc so we can still sail.

Being new to Lasers and not having sailed in 10 yrs+ I want to use this time to improve myself for next season.

I will mostly unfortunatly be going out by myself, tho I am going hopefully by able to meet up with another Laser from the club semi-often if I can.

How do you guys go about "training" especially if there are no other boats? Do you just set yourself a course and sail it against the clock? Difficult to say if I am going faster otherwise.... faster than what?!

Many thanks
Mark

When I'm alone I set myself some drills--tacking, gybing, sitting at a "line" and doing practice starts. It helps to have in your mind what the perfect move is for each thing you are practicing. I also watch for the shifts. Then I just sail for the fun and exercise.

Hi,

Many thanks
Mark

I do pretty much what Merrily wrote. For instance, right now I don't know how to roll tack properly, so that's an area I can work on all by myself. Just keeping the boat really flat under windier conditions is another topic for me (being a light-weight geezer). Or to say it somewhat differently, practice the fundamentals so that you don't have to think about those once you are racing.

Back