Practice Sails - sailing experiences...

GeoffS

Hi,

We have a number of threads discussing whether or not practice sails (like the "Intensity") are good for the class or not. If you want to talk about that, here's a good place for it: http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=4841

I'm interested in hearing from folks who have one of these sails about their sailing experiences with them:
  • What are you impressions of it?
  • Does it sail (and most importantly adjust) like the class-legal "real deal"?
  • Some reports are there are no speed (dis)advantages with the sails. Does anyone have a other information?

Cheers,

Geoff S.
DN US-5156/Laser 145234

I sailed mine for the first time tonight; 10 knots and gusty. I ended up finishing in the same place in the pack as usual (should i ask for my money back? ;)

My impression was that it felt and sailed the same as a legal sail (same pointing ability, same power). It seemed that it took a bit more force to pull on the cunningham, but that could just be that I'm used to an old stretchy sail.

Anyways, after one sail, I haven't felt any difference between it and a legal sail. Time will tell, perhaps

Chris

GTChris, you didn't mention how old/tired the old sail was ?

FWIW, 10 knots with higher gusts is where a new sail should be faster upwind - not in a speed sense, but with a little better VMG (ie you should be able to point a little higher with the same speed).

In other words if I were sailing with an old, tired sail, and put on a brand new sail, I would expect to finish higher up in the fleet in those conditions. Of course your mileage may vary.

Yea I guess I should clarify, I had been racing with another practice sail from a local sailmaker, borrowed from a friend. Both of the new practice sails pointed higher than my old blown out legal sail, but no higher than some other new legal sails that I raced against.

chris

I haven't tried the Intensity, but I recently picked up a near new practise sail made by a local loft here.
It LOOKED a load better than my 30+ year old genuine sail (which was totally poked, but quite fast!) although my race results got worse! my reaching speed seemed a little lower, and it didn't seem to respond as well as a genuine sail to small changes in cunningham. upwind it definitely pointed better.
I managed to lose my grip on our club series, eventually finishing second. Whether that was purely because of the sail, or everyone else started to improve, I'll never know. But I do have a nice new genuine sail to wear in very soon!

I have found with the intensity sail it has same speed and pointing ability. However, it is a much tougher cloth or coating and will last much longer than a class sail. The one difference I notice is it does not like much outhaul on as this seems to stall the sail. It does like a little more cunningham than a class sail.

I used an Intensity sail yesterday for the first time and was impressed with the shape,quality and the fact that for $200 it included battens, numbers, a clew strap, and two sailbags. This really makes me wonder why class approved sails cost over $500.

wow these sound great. I think I am going to get one only to race at club lv.
Are there any people that dislike them for a reason?

Check that other sailors at the club level and the organisers of your club racing don,t have a problem with you using a non class legal sail. I have expressed my views and offended a few people here by doing so. All I am saying is make sure you don't step on toes by doing this.

haha I know there is going to be people that think its bad for the class but I dont think I am spending $400 for a button and I will check with the club very soon. I dont even got my laser yet so I have to wait a bit before I can pick my sail up.

I am pretty impressed with the Intensity sail.

First, let me say that I never race, but am very interested in performance, quality sailcloth, and bang for the buck - and this one took a fine shape right out of the bag - first time! The Class sails used to seem to me to take several outings and stretchings to get in good shape. (Maybe my imagination, but I expected this to occur with the Intensity and it didn't....)

What else can I say? I can now afford a new, quality sail whenever I feel the need. I was annoyed every time I had to pay for "the button." (I am still an active Class member - just don't race, and why I don't is another whole story....)

Cheers!

Dennis Olson
Tomales Bay, CA

I am kinda in the same boat as Dennis. I have never raced in a class regatta, and have been in & out (as a class member) for 20 years.

I also agree with Elwood & Rob B above on their comments. I bought an Intensity sail this past summer, and have been pretty happy with it.

Back