Practice Boats

O

OliLaser

How many people here have practice boats for training and a racing boat for racing? I am just wondering how many people do.

I cycle through boats pretty quickly, but even then, I always practice and race on the same boat.

Somewhere in the back of my head, I am thinking that I want to be familiar with the same boat all the time, I like to get dialed in to it.

That's got to be 99% mental, but still, I like to be in the same boat when I'm practicing and then racing.

OliLaser said:
How many people here have practice boats for training and a racing boat for racing? I am just wondering how many people do.

Well, that would be lovely, to keep a boat all spiffy for racing, but can't afford that. In fact, in never even occurred to me to try. So it's a good question. Do people do that?

Merrily

Im not saying I don't use my racing boat, infact i use it quite a bit 3 times a week during summer but, to preserve your good boat wich i tend to use the practice boat in more winder stuff its worth looking into seeming how people go through boats so fast, infact my 2002 is still as stiff and as light and dry etc. as all the 2005s ive ever raced against, so you might want to look into keeping one old boat and selling your racing boat every 4 years and buying a nnew one you could save a bit of money for sails although its more exspensive at first

Oliver
176096/68443

i have a freind who practices in her beater boat but races in her newere boat but of coarse she is extremly good.

sailor327 said:
i have a freind who practices in her beater boat but races in her newere boat but of coarse she is extremly good.

Is she that good because she keeps her newer boat for racing or because she is naturally good or coarse?

Hi All,
Yes, I do use my older (93) Laser as a practice boat and my new (05) Laser as my racing boat. I'm by no means a top sailor in the fleet but by using the other Laser for practice I hope to extend the life of my race boat significantly. I try to sail every chance I get especially in high winds. I also sail quite a bit down at the gulf coast in Texas in the salt. So I prefer to use the older boat for that.
I also use the other Laser as a loaner for interested future laserite's to try out the Laser and hopefully help the class expand and grow.
Another thought I've had is just buying a replacement hull instead of a new boat. When I priced them I believe they were running about 3,200 with a new boat at 4,700, 1,500 is a pretty significant savings.
Best regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

sailor327 said:
[/
i thought he was being a wise guy but when online you can't really tell.

Purposefully using your spelling error, as well as using "like" and "awesome" language (he is an OLD geezer) should be the complete give away. Come on, a bit more self-reflection could help here!

GWF

Georg W.F. said:
Purposefully using your spelling error, as well as using "like" and "awesome" language (he is an OLD geezer) should be the complete give away. Come on, a bit more self-reflection could help here!

GWF

Well, for pity's sake. Get that L/C emoticon out for you too! We've never taken points off for spelling before (course, not coarse) and we're not starting now. Nor are we the "self-reflection" website. This is the website for polite Lasering discourse. Please, back to the topic of Practice Boats. I've got Christmas shopping to do.

Merrily

Merrily said:
Well, for pity's sake. Get that L/C emoticon out for you too! We've never taken points off for spelling before (course, not coarse) and we're not starting now. Nor are we the "self-reflection" website. This is the website for polite Lasering discourse. Please, back to the topic of Practice Boats. I've got Christmas shopping to do.

Merrily

All right, all right! For the record, I was complementing the geezer for his creative use of language. If one is not sure what I mean, pick up a dictionary and look up the entry for "coarse." My apologies to 327. I wanted to point out what seemed so obvious to me, but after some self-reflection I realized that my own post was rather coarse.

Back to practice boats. I guess it would be nice to have a back up that others can use and that you can use for training purposes. Yet, If I think of the storage-costs at the marina or yacht-club, for me it would not safe any money. Also, granted that a fiberglass boat does not require a lot of maintanance, you will have to spend the extra time on transporting and cleaning an extra boat.

GWF

Georg W.F. said:
All right, all right! For the record, I was complementing the geezer for his creative use of language. If one is not sure what I mean, pick up a dictionary and look up the entry for "coarse." My apologies to 327. I wanted to point out what seemed so obvious to me, but after some self-reflection I realized that my own post was rather coarse.

Back to practice boats. I guess it would be nice to have a back up that others can use and that you can use for training purposes. Yet, If I think of the storage-costs at the marina or yacht-club, for me it would not safe any money. Also, granted that a fiberglass boat does not require a lot of maintanance, you will have to spend the extra time on transporting and cleaning an extra boat.

GWF

Ok now i caught you its save not safe (sorry i had to do it). And come on im only 15 why is an "old geezer" picking on someone who is probably 4 times younger than him. Plus im a little burnt out and exhausted from studying for midterms.

It appears that I am one of the lucky ones. I have 4 club boats that are always available. I almost never use my foils unless I am racing. Using a completely different boat, however is a bit of a ploblem. Even though we know the boats start out identical, they don't stay that way without a lot of care. If the club boats (2x1996, and 2x1999) were as good as mine I would not own a 2005 model and would just race the "free" boats. If one does a lot of practice sailing it is a good idea to use a beater boat whenever possible. It will help with the marketing effort when the time comes to replace the racing boat. It certainly makes a sail sound like a better deal if it was only raced on. It does bother me to switch to a boat with different color lines, and feel, but I'm not made of money and not complaining.

Back