Porpoise II by Cutter - looking for info

diverdeb

Hi,
I am the new happy owner of a used Porpoise II, which I believe is a model of Sunfish (please correct me if I am wrong!).
Can anyone confirm and am also looking for a good used sail - I will patch what I have to get in some sailing now, but I would love to buy someone's gently used sail.
I love to sail and was a Flying Dutchman owner/fan but this little boat looks like fun and I can load it on my roof.
Any info appreciated!
Deb

It very well could be a Sunfish or Minifish Clone, But it is a slower boat. http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/ lists it as IIRC 112 versus 98 for a Sunfish. So for a course a Sunfish would sail in 98 minutes the Propoise would take 112 minutes. OK for day sialing fun, but keep your wallet in your pocket if any Fish want to race for money....LOL

If I’m not mistaken Porpoise is one of the many name brand Sunfish look-alikes. In the vernacular of beach sailboats these are all called sunfish the same way we call bandage strips Band-Aids. That doesn’t mean it will be any less fun to go sailing on. If you don’t find a worthwhile used sail, 3rd party sunfish sails only go for approximately $150 new. Enjoy ;)

I have one of each—'77 Sunfish and Porpoise II—if I can be of assistance in measurements. Generically, it's called a "Clonefish".

I bought the Porpoise II not knowing what a Sunfish looked like, close-up.

The seller's explanation was that it was a "Sunfish trainer". :confused: (Not a bad description while viewing the Sunfish emblem on the sail, but misleading as to manufacturer.)

It's solid enough, but shorter and narrower—not quite as good a "ride". The P-II benefit to my style of sailing is the ability to recline. (Which reduces wind-drag some when racing the real Sunfish out there).

My introduction to the "curse of the wet board" came after the Porpoise's bill of sale when two of us tried to lift it! :eek: The flotation was soaked with water, and the flotation had all the characteristics of a natural sponge—including color, texture, and the ability to squeeze water out of it, and use it over again! Maybe I should have saved it...:D

Still, many parts are interchangeable—spars, sail, mast, lines, rudder, bow handle and daggerboard.

It seemed overpowered with the present Sunfish sail, so don't turn down any available smaller sail, such as the Minifish sail.

(My comment may provoke a listing here for just that sail!) :)

Back