Play in mast joint

Martz

Guys & Gals...

I have a full rig and radial rig. The radial rig is real snug at the join, whilst the full rig has a fair bit of play. The radial can be a bastard to separate, whilst the full rig pulls apart easy, and often leaves the top section in the sail pocket when de-rigging.

Anyone else noticed this?

Is it by design to enhance mast bend?

Thanks, appreciate the help. Martz.

That's not mast bend that's collar wear Martz, try a tight turn of electrical tape round it.

You're using the same top section, right ? If so, it's not the collar, it's the difference in dia due to manufacturing tolerances on the radial lower and the full rig lower

It's not by design, you want to avoid a loose/sloppy joint between top and lower. Keeping it tight helps promote a more fair bend from the top to the bottom of the whole mast, while a sloppy joint promotes a more severe bend at the joint, which typically shows up as overbend wrinkles from the clew of the sail to the joint.

The fix is the same as suggested above, but in your case you are going to have to remove the tape when using your radial lower and add it when using the full rig.

Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback.

I agree with Tenty - its not collar wear. I thought it was, so ordered new collar and bottom plug.

When fitting them up last night, (aren't those rivets fun to set in !!), after removing the original collar, I tried both the old & new in the top of the bottom section, and they are virtually the same in terms of play. The old collar and plug showed definite signs of wear, so swapped them out anyway.

I think the solution ol'mate Voods has suggested will be simple & effective, so thanks for the help guys - most appreciated.

Back