Plastic Drain

Esteroali

I got the old deck drain assembly out at 11pm tonight. Yahoo. Now, how do I make the appropriate hole for the the new plastic one? Do I have to buy a bit that make holes? Do I bring the drain to Home Depot and see what fits? I am tool challenged so be patient. Damien

The new plastic drain should be about an inch in diameter. Go to Home Depot and get a once inch hole saw bit for your power drill... and drill away! The new plastic drain should fit nicely. Use silicone and two screws to secure it. (make sure that in fact, your new plastic drain is one inch in diameter)

Damien,
Search for some e-mail threads about installing the gasket for this drain. If I recall/remeber correctly, it was suggested to not use the gasket on the "water side" of the hull. I used silicone to seal it on that side. This also allows the external part of the drain to sit closer & flush to the hull, and reduce drag.
Anyone elso out there recall this method of installation?

Yeah, I did the same thing on the 2 I installed a few years back. As far as drilling the hole bigger... Mine fit right into the original hole. I'm aware there is a Laser drain, or at least one offered that is somewhat larger than the Sunfish one. Perhaps this is what you have?

Quick question, are you taking about the bailer on the floor of the cockpit or the deck drain next to the splashrail tht drains water from the interior of the hull?

Good, cause those are the directions that I left. I just replaced my drain a few weeks ago. The hole for the old metal drain is 1/2". The hole for the new plastic drain is 1".

The original question was for the deck drain which I have figured out. I am still stumped on the BAILER drain. I got the plug and thin nut out...piece of cake. Now it is supposed to "fall out easily" The remaining bailer is in there like cement....now what? I am going to use silicone instead of the o ring so I can pretend I am one of the fast guys too.

Ok, I was talking about the cockpit drain. Incidently I broke a piece off the housing that contains the ball. I successfully glued it back together with 3M 5200. I miss the original cast one that came with the boat. Also, the flexible rubber/plastic part that retains the cover/plug tends to mildew and discolor quite badly.

I am restoring a '72 sunfish. My drain was steel and I think it was tethered with a chain to the screw-in housing. Somehow the plug came away fromthe boat (tether broke?) so I need to replace it. The folks at Annapolis Performance Sailing sell several types of drain plug assemblies. Does anybody know what item I should buy to mate with the existing screw in part in my deck?

OK. Thanks LQT420, the layline site explains alot. So, is there a best choice (stay w / steel plug hardware or retrofit to plastic type drain plug assy)?

I'm in the process of restoring a '78 hull to "like new" condition and replaced the old metal drain plug and retrofitted a newer plastic plug on my deck. My old metal drain was corroded and nasty so I chose to go with plastic.

Back