Pimp My Trailer!!

KT!

Hi, I just got my first Laser a couple of weeks ago. So far, I'm liking it way better than my Spindrift 15 (which I just sold), except for the trailer. The boat came with an A-frame trailer made for small power boats, but it was modified to haul the Laser deck down. This setup is a real pain for me because I have to flip it over everytime I take the boat out. I want to be able to take it out by myself, so I'm looking to modify the trailer so it hangs from the gunwales. I do have a Seitech dolly (also came with the boat) and I was originally going to modify the trailer so that the dolly could roll up onto the trailer, but I have since scrapped that plan. The mounting brackets for the lights are in a crappy location for that so it is pretty hard to get the dolly axel up over them... but anyway, I was just wondering if anybody had any pictures or schemes for pimping a trailer. Or if anybody could point me to a thread. Also thinking of adding spinners and underlighting?? :)) Thanks in advance

I saw one that a guy put about a 4 foot sturdy pole (steel) on the front with a pulley at the top and a winch. He hauled his boat upside down, then picked up the bow with the 'crane' and flipped it over at the ramp by grabbing the stern and lifting it.. , then put it in. Just a thought. I had actually considered doing that with mine.

good idea! wouldn't have to make many modifications on my trailer. Just wondering: how did he attach the bow to the winch??

He just had a standard hook and strap like you'd use on a bigger boat to winch it up on trailer. He was just using it for a lift instead, from winch over pully on top down to boat bow. Pick up bow, spin the boat, and set it down. So he was only lifting 70 pounds or so. Had a loop thru the bow handle.Still heavy, but not nearly as bad as trying to manuver the entire boat by himself. The 'pole' was bracketed to what used to be a support for a 'regular' boat winch.

It's certainly not flawless, but an idea that might work for you.

Oh wow!! don't everybody respond at once to my thread :eek: I changed my plan again anyway though... I'm getting a Fireball so now I'm thinking of making the trailer double decker with the Fireball on the bottom and the Laser deck down on top. Any suggestions on how to make the rack for the Laser???

Here are some pics that I have been meaning to post of a trailer I built using info gleaned from various threads on this site; It started out as a single-boat trailer, hull up on gunwale supports; then (predictably) we bought a second laser and added the square hollow tube frames and wooden bearers for the second boat to ride hull down; the bottom boat has an 8-slot spar carrier. The axle should probably be a bit further foreward, as the load on the hitch fully laden is about 55kg (120lbs). Trailer is 76mm x 38mm x 6,7kg/m channel, the square hollow tube is 25mm x 25mm x 2.0mm.
CIMG1865s.JPGCIMG1866s.JPGCIMG1867s.JPG

Back