Photo of inside of a Sunfish

HookEm

Ok, I know someone sometime has pulled the deck off an old Sunfish to see what's inside. Where can I find a photo? I want to do some repairs, and it sure would help to see an inside before I start cutting holes. I've done some Googling and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks

Look at the photo link under the posting "A SAD ENDING" in the forum's photo gallery. You may want to be sitting down and have the children leave the room while you view those images. There is also a great inside photo of the rudder mount in a posting under the sunfish talk forum titled "TILLER MOUNT PROBLEM". Under the reply #8 from SUPERCUB, there are two revealing photos from an access port I assume.

Thanks for the reply.

I saw the SAD ENDING before. It is interesting but not a lot of photos of the inside and the ones that show anything are from a distance and because the boat was sliced across you don't see much. I had not seen TILLER MOUNT PROBLEM before. Nice photo of the backing plate.

I am in particular interested in the usual failure locations. What is under the bow handle, the splashboard and traveler mounts. I am also interested in where the foam is attached and if there are any other cross bracing pieces. From SAD ENDING, it would appear that there are.

Of course I can't find it in my favorites (one of these days I have to organize them so I can find things...LOL) but there is a hand sketch of the probable locations of the foam blocks. I say probable because they were not put in using a template but simply placed and as such a couple of inches either way in their location is not unusual.
We've hit blocks adding ports, but usually only by an inch or so and we just carve a little form for clearance.
As for mounting under the deck I can't remember when they went to aluminum plates, but at least until the late 80's most mounts were blocks of hard wood glassed to the underside of the deck. Sometimes better than others. Again it was done by hand and a lot depended on the skill of the installer and what he had for lunch...LOL

Great find, thank you.
Here is a copy of the "INNARDS" as thumbnails.

Join the forum for a closer look.

Attachments

• SAILFISH_SUNFISH INNARDS.jpg
    SAILFISH_SUNFISH INNARDS.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 133
OK, I checked out Sunfish Sailor. However, the good photos of the inside are not in "photos", but in "files." It has a number of interior photos under "Waterlogged Blocks" and "Foam Block Reset." There are also idagrams showing where the foam is which is similar to a diagram in the Sunfish Bible.

Also check the Files, Sunfish, Inside a Sunfish for more photos. There you will find some inside shots as well as a couple with the deck off, but no foam. The diagrams are pretty accurate when copared to the photos. If you need some specific, let me know. Good Luck.

Back