Phoebe sails again!

Chris2

Hi everybody. Those with long memories might remember that back in September 2006 I posted a question about restoration of a 1969 Sunfish.
To recap the story. In 2001 Hurricane Iris hit southern Belize. Amongst the damage was a 1969 Sunfish which was swept away and disappeared into the jungle, seemingly lost forever.
4 years later, the owner was having some work done on his house, when the building crew came to him dragging a battered sunfish which they had found buried in the jungle. To cut a long story short my wife swapped the Sunfish for a fridge (thats how we work down here!) and presented it to me as a restoration project. So we split the project in two. my job was to restore the hull, and hers was to obtain all the fittings etc.
So, over the past three years we have assembled everything, repainted her, named her, and finally a couple of weeks ago, she finally went back in the water and took a brief run around the bay we live in.
I should perhaps add that I personally have no experience of sailing whatever, and my wife Sue ( although she did do a Royal Yacht Club course many years ago) precious little.
So a whole new world has opened up for us.
I cannot tell you what a great feeling it was to see this once sad piece of smashed fibre glass back out on the sea. A great sense of achievment and pride.
Thanks a million to all those who offered advice and encouragement!
Chris Harris
Anyone who wants further info feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Hi Chris. Yes, the boat is not on the water at present as the sea is a bit choppy (yes even here in the Carribean we get choppy seas)
However as soon as she is back on the water i'll post a pic. This is not a magnificent piece of restoration, the sail has more patches than sail, but I guess if i had been through a hurricane I'd have a few patches as well!
We intend to start our sailing career on the brackish lagoon behind our resort where the water is calmer.
i'll keep you posted on our progress'
cheers
chris

Back