PFD recommendations?

element6

The thread on cold weather clothing (here) got me thinking about the PFD I'm currently using and wondering if there's a better choice.
I raced in three races (my first) this weekend and hung up the back of the PFD on the boom and/or sheet several times when tacking. I can add more ties to prevent the sheet from making a loop, but I don't think that's a complete solution, because I seemed to be hanging up on the boom itself.
Are there PFDs that present a lower profile across the shoulders?
What models are folks generally happy with?

TIA

Dave
Rochester, NY

No need to buy another PFD; many racers wear something over their PFD to prevent the problems you encountered.

Here's what I where. I'm 5'10", have a number of mainsheet ties on boom. I rarely hangup ducking, and I'm not all that flexible. It's a Extrasport, think I got it at West. The shoulder and around the neck are cloth, the floation is around the body, flexible, it breaths, isn't hot unless above 95 degrees. I always where it (now) and always with long sleeves. Hope that helps, Winever.
Oh Yah, has adjustable sides as needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 33
thanks Winever
you gave me an idea. I lengthened the shoulder straps to put the whol PFD lower on my
body. 1st day of frosbiting tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
Dave

Here's what I where. I'm 5'10", have a number of mainsheet ties on boom. I rarely hangup ducking, and I'm not all that flexible. It's a Extrasport, think I got it at West. The shoulder and around the neck are cloth, the floation is around the body, flexible, it breaths, isn't hot unless above 95 degrees. I always where it (now) and always with long sleeves. Hope that helps, Winever.
Oh Yah, has adjustable sides as needed.

I can add more ties to prevent the sheet from making a loop, but I don't think that's a complete solution, because I seemed to be hanging up on the boom itself.
Ties introduce other problems—like binding. If ties are a problem, have you tried using the trick using two pieces of duct tape? I read of that solution here—a blessing! :)

To keep the tape and mainsheet frombinding, reverse a short length of duct tape and put the two sticky sides together. If your rules allow tape, you'll be way-ahead over ties. :cool:

You've never heard anyone saying—they are blessed with ties that bind. :p

If've seen a couple of different "systems" in use on other boats in the fleet. Today's outing showed a large improvement simply by lowering the PFD on my trunk. I'll look at other retainers/guides as the season goes along.
I ended up in the water again today after an unexpectedly hard gybe, but at least I was one of three who went over in gusty conditions.
Beautiful day to be on the water.

Dave

Ties introduce other problems—like binding. If ties are a problem, have you tried using the trick using two pieces of duct tape? I read of that solution here—a blessing! :)

To keep the tape and mainsheet frombinding, reverse a short length of duct tape and put the two sticky sides together. If your rules allow tape, you'll be way-ahead over ties. :cool:

You've never heard anyone saying—they are blessed with ties that bind. :p

Back