Performance Under One Sail

COCatalina

The wind where I sail in Colorado was very stiff last night. I tried to sail her under the main alone but noticed that I was having a lot of trouble controlling her.

Has anyone else had similar experiences and can anyone offer suggestion on how to make her tack better in these circumstances.

I have a similar experience a few weekends back. The wind was strong (and puffy), and I was having a hard time keep the boat on track while tacking and especially gybing with only the main. My solution was to use the jib and sail close to the wind. The jib really helped control the direction of the boat, and keeping her close to the wind kept the boat from heeling too much, even during strong puffs. Usually I don't mind heeling and hiking, but I had my 4-year old son with me and I was very nervous about going over, even with him in his PFD.

Like all Sloop rigged small boats, they don't sail as well under just main or jib. With out the jib up in heavy breeze you'll have a hard time getting the boat close enough to the wind to tack before you lose momentum and stall in the tack. You need to get the boat to start the tack with out using the rudder (ie:the brake). Trim the main to close hauled, get the boat to start to round up into the breeze, if needed lean in the boat a little, as you start into irons use some rudder (don't let the rudder stall), ease some main through the tack, once the boat tacks move to the new weather rail and trim the main accordingly. Its all about boat speed , timing and reaction to the wind. If you can, wait to tack after a big puff blows through . Hope this helps.
Richard

One Sail = 1/2 the centerboard

I sail my 14.2 with just the main all the time when I'm out alone so I don't have to deal with the jib. Like all sloops the full down centerboard location is balanced for both the jib and main. I learned this the hard way during a sailing class when we had to sail without a rudder and used the sail trim to steer and pivot the boat on the centerboard. To compensate for the lack of the jib I usually bring the centerboard up about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way from the full down position. Since the 14.2's centerboard "swings" forward the 1/2 position will actually move it towards the stern and adjust the balance point. I have a mod 2 boat which has the centerboard adjustment led to down the outside of the boat to where the skipper sits and the adjustment is really easy while you are under sail.

WORD OF CAUTION: Since the centerboard is not a deep the boat will capsize a lot easier if you are sailing in heavy air or get hit by a gust. So be prepared to adjust to the wind and hike out a little farther.

Happy sailing!
________
Suzuki Katana

Back