Painting Laser

If you are going to use a simple enamel like Brightside...paint it with Rust-O-Leum or whatever generic tractor paint is available at your local hardware store and save a ton of money.

if you want the boat to look god and be durable, paint it with a two package urthane paint that is the same color as the gelcoat...so scratches show less.

You can use any of a nu8mber of urethane paints ( catalyzed type) and it will be wonderful. At your local car paint supplier they will have PPG, Nason, Imron, Spies Hecker, and a number of "it works just like Imron but lots less money for the stuff" paints.

or you could spend money on boat paint like Interlux Perfection, Awlgrip or similar.

Regardless, the end result difference between $45 Interlux Brightside enamel or a generic enamel of similar quality and the $100 it costs to do it with the right paint is well worth that extra dough.

Brightside and Perfection are both polyurathane paints. One is a two part and the other isn't. What makes you believe this is an enamel? I'm looking for something that will look good and last. Thanks

the difference is the same as between urethane varnish from Home depot and clear Urethane two package paint like Perfection or Awlgrip.

The difference in the Souithern summer sun is lasting a couple weeks and lasting a couple decades

Howdie gouv,
well said, in all.
One question to that point with polyurethane paint. In their descriptions Interlux does say, such a paint needs a special prepaint ("Interprotect" or "Perfection Pepaint").

Is your experience and opinion going in to that way to say: "forget about prepaint and save your money"?

Would it be "okay" to take the correct polyurethane thinner and first prepaint a layer of the generic polyuethane paint mixed with that thinner (would save a lot of money, "Interprotect" or "Perfection Prepaint" are expensive, too and perhaps only make Interliux more rich)?

Ciao
LooserLu

My intentions are to completely wet sand the boat and follow all of the directions from Interlux including thier prep paint and prep was. The expense really doesn't seem bad at all. My concern is the finished product. Living in NJ I might be ok with this approach. I s Awlgrip as easy to work with?

Back